View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 1st April

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 1st April

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 am

Monday looks good for Wrekin SE to ridge soar with thermals to 3000ft or so and moderate winds from South or SE. Also Corndon or Gyrn may work.
Tuesday due to go westerly but forecasts seem to indicate somewhere between 5 star XC forecasts but too windy and pouring with rain all day.
Wednesday/Thursday may be westerly and may be windy and after that so much going on I'm not going to suggest anything yet.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 1st April

Postby Geoffm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

It's looking pretty rubbish for the rest of the week now. Rain, maybe snow, wind. And cold.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Ah, the weekend just might be flyable. Roughly Easterly or North Easterly. Wind speeds and which day best is varying between forecasts and location. At this moment Saturday looks good from Corndon or PenyClodiau East as the winds are lower with better cloudbase in Wales for those going XC, if the winds are light enough to launch.

Of course probably all change in next 36 hours though.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Saturday still looking flyable, possibly XC weather but as long as launchable speeds should be soarable, direction roughly ENE to NE here, Corndon the local option of course but not ideal for ridge soaring in that direction. Downwind, cloudbase up to 4000ft later on. A better option for ridge soaring may well be Penyclodiau East, with the Malverns or Pandy more likely blown out.

Sunday lower wind speeds, but much much lower cloudbase but Malverns and Pandy probably a better bet for soaring.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:53 am

Saturday, the further into North Wales you go the better chance of flying and especially launching. At Malverns it's gusting to 25mph at present and due to get slightly stronger. Corndon is often soarable when other hills are blown out, but the wind direction is now due to be more east than NE and I've found that does tend to catch the wind more, so it is likely to be on the edge of being blown out. Cloudbase going up to 5000ft in North Wales, I have limited experience of Snowdonia, so it might be blown out, but the air is due to be best up there. I'd be thinking of PenyC if I was out today.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:15 pm

People did fly at Corndon today. Tomorrow is easterly too, but lighter, though if it is reasonably thermic could be ok. Should be fine at the Malverns though.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:26 pm

It was easterly, but I don't know if people did fly at Corndon today. I wasn't out. I have asked on Facebook about the LMSC Telegram group, why people aren't using it to post site reports, which can be incredibly useful.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.