View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Help with sites awareness

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Help with sites awareness

Postby Crawford Coulson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi,

Would it help if the most important warnings affecting a site be placed right near the top of the site guide, perhaps in red?

At the moment there is a lot of less important information before anyone gets to any warnings, with a fair chance this could be missed, especially if browsing on a smart phone. Surely warnings are more important than Intro, multimedia site guide, web cam, site record, access, parking etc. ? The Sarn site guide has gone half way at least by asking pilots at the start to read the important information at the bottom. Some warnings are red, others are not.

I’m not making excuses for anyone not reading the relevant site guide in full, but it is human nature to skip through after the start and I don't really care if they can't find the hill or miss the bit about site records, but I do care if a site is lost because they missed the warnings.

It also does no harm to repeat sensitive site warnings on Facebook and the Forum at regular intervals as they quickly disappear, e.g. if there is a sunny, light wind, westerley forecast for the weekend; we know what is likely to happen. So lets pre-empt potential problems with a few timely reminders. Yes this takes time but not much and there are more people on the committee now to help out than ever!

PS Any chance of marking on the Camlo site guide map exactly where the bird of prey aviaries are so that pilots are less likely to fly over low?
Crawford Coulson

Re: Help with sites awareness

Postby Brian Sanders » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

If you are lobbying for a change to the site guides Crawford, you need to speak to the Sites Officer, that's what he is there for.
Brian Sanders

Postby Crawford Coulson » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Brian

Not really, I'm putting a suggestion to the committee and they can decide if they think it is useful or not. It doesn't involve any change in site information so is not really relevant to the sites Officer - all I'm suggesting is a possible change in site guide layout to prioritize the more important things which are currently lost somewhere near the bottom.
Crawford Coulson

Postby Brian Sanders » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Crawford, you will see what I am getting at if you reread the LMSC committee roles document.

The points you make seem reasonable, but I won't be changing the site guide unless it goes through the sites officer as he has the responsibility for making members aware of site rules and how he decides to do that is down to him.
Brian Sanders

Postby kevin williams » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

I think you have a valid point Crawford. Clearly site requirements can change at any time and as such pilots need to be alerted to these as easily & quickly as possible. I’m already in discussions with Brian on how this could be accommodated within the restraints of of our existing web site system.
kevin williams

Postby Crawford Coulson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am

Brian Sanders wrote:Crawford, you will see what I am getting at if you reread the LMSC committee roles document.

My point being I thought other committee members might show an interest or it might initiate further suggestions from club members; two heads are better than one etc. Kevin has overall responsibility, not sole responsibility and I’m sure he would have no objection to insight from others. Otherwise I’d just have emailed Kevin directly.
Crawford Coulson

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.