View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Webcams and weather station updates

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Webcams and weather station updates

Postby Geoffm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm starting a new topic on this - the last one was getting a bit long, with lots of posts.

I've fixed the power outage issue, in the sense that the weather station computer now restarts automatically after a power cut. There are still frequent, brief, outages at the MGC and in the valley (including my house) and that has knocked out some of the internet connectivity at the MGC twice (there are two separate systems there). But we are working on that.

For the future, apart from making the MGC system more resilient, and improving the systems in place for recovering from issues, we are also looking at improving the LMSC web cam, to get better resolution. In the meantime, I've changed the cam, which looks at our launch, to update at one minute intervals.

So - I hesitate to say this, because recently every time I've said things are working again, they promptly fail - things are working again. At the MGC we have the two static web cams, and the two time lapse cams, and the weather station. At Sarn and Clatter, we have the Holfuy web cam and weather stations.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Webcams and weather station updates

Postby David Broughton » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks Geoff - hopefully we will get some weather to make a trip to the Mynd worthwhile. :)
David Broughton

Postby David Broughton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 pm

How can we believe the readings? Last couple of days i'ts been saying W or WNW when in fact the wind has been well off to the south.

It really is time we had a reliable station of our own.
David Broughton

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:22 pm

It was very thermic today. The thermals pull the wind on the hill. Once in the air, it may well be more off to the south. Certainly when I was flying in the evening, the weather station was giving accurate readings. During the day, when I looked at it, the readings were swinging around, as the thermals came through.

There has been no re-calibration of the weather station for a couple of years, when I last did it, when it was briefly incorrect. There have no complaints about the calibration, as far as I know, since (other than under-reading because it is not on the front of the hill, or when it's off to the south because of the trees). During the recent downtime, the weather station itself wasn't affected, or moved. It was just the computer which was broken, not the weather station. So the calibration should be the same.

However, things can go wrong, and if the weather station really is inaccurate, it is a very trivial matter to re-calibrate it. I can put in an offset on the weather station to do that. But before I do that I would need consistent, accurate, readings from someone to convince me it really is wrong. I'm not going to make changes without that. That means someone standing next to the windsock, with a compass and a computer, to compare the readings in real time. Get me those numbers.

In terms of the club getting its own weather station, of course the club can do that if it wishes. The issues you need to consider are a) cost and b) security of locating it. The weather station and cams at Clatter and Sarn are nowhere near a public footpath or road. A weather station on our launch at the Mynd would be. We can't even keep tourists from walking through the gate which has a big sign saying no entry. The danger of theft or vandalism would be considerable. Now, it may well be that the club decides it is still worth it, in which case, I would of course support that decision. But it needs to be firmly evidence based.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Dave, you were right, I was wrong, my apologies. I tested it today, and it was reading a bit too far north. I've changed it by 12 degrees or so, we'll see if that is enough. It's tricky because ideally you need a westerly day with a reasonable, steady, breeze, but not thermic. Today it is thermic, and the wind was switchy.

I changed it by a software setting. It is possible the pole where the station is located has been moved slightly, maybe in strong winds, but I didn't check that, because I was on my own, and it is a real pain redoing that. Takes a few people. And tricky to get right.

We'll see how it goes.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.