View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 9th July

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 9th July

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

There is some change change this week. Maybe a little cloudier. But still hot, probably dry, mostly sunny, north or easterly. Still thermic, though maybe not quite as spectacular as the last few days.

Monday: northerly again. Last week, people were flying at Llangollen and the Wrekin. Monday, it could be a bit breezy for those places. It could go either way. Other local options are Sarn and possibly Long Mountain. Or the Lawley.

Tuesday: lighter, NE. Corndon, Blorenge.

Wednesday: lighter again. Corndon, the Malverns. Maybe Mam in the Peaks.

Thursday: and still lighter. Personally, I'd go for the Malverns. Or the Peaks.

Friday: as Thursday:

Weekend: light easterlies.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 9th July

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 am

Monday looks like we will be affcted by a front coming through, though im not sure of the timing. Wind direction slightly awkward as north or nne in Wales but our eastern located sites might get a bit west of north in direction and a bit more of a soarable wind. Midlands sees a chance of rain under the front too. So ideally for the best air go south of our area but to fly here I'd say lawley, corndon, clunbury. 100 house looks good for all forecast directions, leckhampton for big xc chances.

Around here for thermalling go early but it might be better ridge soaring after the frontal cloud builds up.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 am

Well, sorry but I was a bit wrong with the forecast for Monday, it was windier than I had expected in our area. Lawley was reported as completely blown out and off to the north around lunchtime. Meanwhile about the same time it was windy and off to the NE at Long Mountain - apparently rough and no lift as in the lee of Middletown, though later on it did come on more north and get nicely flyable - with better XC's than elsewhere.

Tuesday, we're in a funny area - cloudy and even south east at present but due to get better, but the best air to our immediate east where there's nowhere to launch from in a forecast light NNE wind. All the XC boys and girls will be at Leckhampton I'm guessing, expecting to get through the Bath gap if it's open. For our sites, Corndon I think.
Dave Thomas

Postby Glyn Jones » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:06 pm

How did the XC go Dave, loved watching u climb away. Had to throw it away at 50K by finding sink as had a prior commitment and needed to catch the train - chose Tal-y-Bont as there was a grass field next to the station. Ran to the station and got there with 3 minutes to spare - handy having internet at cloudbase to check the trainline website!
Glyn Jones

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 am

Wednesday at this very moment looks promising for thermalling, but that's not what RASP says for our area. What's due to happen is the air deteriorates during the day and the nice lapse rate falls apart. Also wind direction could be anywhere or nowhere. In central England the forecast and northerly wind looks better but limited on site choice - Peak district, Thames valley members site Uffington or Combe Gibbet - I think for Leckhampton may be too light winds.
Doesn't look nicely ridge soarable anywhere, thought Peaks or South downs are the only chance.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Somewhat surprisingly, it's on at the Mynd at the moment and people are flying, according to the webcams (incidentally, I'll be taking the weather station computer (and therefore the cams) off line for a short period this evening whilst I make some adjustments).

Thursday is NE or so. Light probably, in which case the Malverns is a better bet for ridge soaring.

Friday: I'm not really sure. Winds moving around a bit, but also an increasing chance of showers as the day goes on.

Saturday: west, on the Mynd, could be light, but at the moment, definitely worth a trip out. Not a brilliant XC forecast, but that could easily change.

Sunday: W or WSW. Mynd again.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Mark Hogan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm

RASP and XC weather indicated it might be on at the Mynd this afternoon. I checked the webcams/weather station at about 15:00 and they were showing an 11mph westerly so I took a punt that it would be flyable. When I arrived the wind appeared to have dropped and was way off to the North but I was convinced it was going to come on again so set up and waited. After a while Graeme also showed up and just as he was about to head back home it started to come back on. I took off and was able to maintain and gradually the wind came round to the west and picked up. Graeme flew for a while but then he headed off and I was left with the hill to myself.

Where was everyone, was there something else going on? ;)
Mark Hogan

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am

Thursday - Wales is showing pretty poor, low winds and poor air with the chance of rain in the afternoon. Might possibly be flyable somewhere and but no idea where really. To my mind the Malverns looks the best bet with decent air later on and not as great a chance of rain (the lapse charts look good but the potential for big cloud development to 20000ft is high). The humidity has gone up a lot and the moisture wants to go somewhere.
Friday , sort of similar to Thursday but not quite as good. Great if you can launch in eastern England somewhere off a winch or aerotow.

Weekend looking like gentle westerlies and no rain, mostly sunny all days.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 am

Friday is probably going to be pretty grubby around here, but there is a slight chance it might come onto the Mynd to ridge soar later on, but probably associated with cu-nims and rain. Down south the air is better but also a chance of those monster rain clouds - only options I can see down that way would be Thames valley, Dorset or southern club sites especially near the coast where there's going to be a decent sea breeze.

Good news, the following three days are due to be generally westerly and mostly sunny.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am

Friday did have a nice westerly wind on the Mynd but the webcams shows some nasty clouds and the rain rader showed it wasn't going to be useable for long I didn't see any cars or wings showing on the webcams at our launch.

Saturday looks good, but beware of the RIAT airspace during lunchtime - see the map that Crawford has posted which I believe prevents launching at the Mynd until afterwards. It's due to start off almost south and gradually come stronger and more westerly during the day. Our weather stations are already showing a bit of west, so looking very promising, as it's due to be a nice day and getting better. Cloudbase really fairly high today at 5000ft plus.

Sunday, more of a pronounced south westerly wind, but nicely flyable for both ridge and thermalling XC around here.
Dave Thomas

Postby Mike Hope » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 am

From the Notam info

E) AMEND AIC M051/2018. RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS - RAF 100
FLYPAST AT THE ROYAL INTERNATIONAL AIR TATTOO, RAF FAIRFORD 13-15
JULY 2018. THE RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS ARE ONLY APPLICABLE
ON 13 JULY 2018. ALL REFERENCES TO RESTRICTIONS OF FLYING ON 14 AND
15 JULY 2018 ARE TO BE DELETED.
One dream one soul one prize one goal
Mike Hope

Postby Geoffm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 am

Sunday was flyable a lot of the day from the Mynd, with Gill doing a great XC from the Mynd (not yet in the League). And DaveT doing a 144 km flight to goal from Shepherd's Tump, one of our lesser used sites. https://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/201 ... x=01200715

Well done both.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Crawford Coulson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:48 am

Dave Thomas's flight bags him the site record for Shepherds Tump - increasing it from 70 to 115km! (as it was declared he gets 144 league points). Well done!
Crawford Coulson

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.