View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 11th June

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 11th June

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Finally.... the easterlies are - almost! - at an end, which will be a relief for those who don't like Corndon. Not going to be a great week for flying though, round here, on the current forecasts.

Monday: NNE/NNW. Llangollen is the ideal place, if you fly hangies. But probably too windy for PGs. Long Mountain should be ok though, maybe Sarn, though it is slightly more easterly down there. Wind picking up through the day.

Tuesday: NE. Or NNE. Corndon.

Wednesday: from today, there is much more of a westerly component. Today is SW/WSW. Clatter probably, possibly the Mynd depending on how much south there is. Remember that Black Knoll works better than the main Mynd lauch when there is some south in it, though this is also used for training by our two local schools.

Thursday: west. But blown out, maybe showery too.

Friday: SW/WSW, so similar to Wednesday, except windier right from the start.

Weekend: westerlies, but probably too windy.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 11th June

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Today looks good, but timing and site choice are difficult. There are forecasts for possible thunderstorms in our area later on, and it's also varying across Wales in wind direction, NNW up around Llangollen, and then from our area south the direction is expected to be anywhere between North and NE and fairly brisk but lighter into mid wales. However in the Peak district the wind is due to be much lighter with a better cloudbase and much less chance of thunder but still a chance of some rain (wind direction I'm not sure about there - somewhere between east and west!

So, for around here, HG I'd say Llangollen or Sarn. For PG Long Mountain, Corndon, Sarn, 100 house, possibly even the Malverns if it is at least NE or east of that.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Nice to see some good flights from Corndon yesterday, with Stephen Pym reaching the coast at Aberystwyth. And Crawford and others also going XC.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am

Tuesday looks iffy by RASP, but better with some other forecasts, and our webcams currently show much nicer skies than here in the Midlands. People are going to Corndon I believe and the wind is again NE and a decent speed for there.

Wednesday is likely to be a complete reversal of direction, but at present probably blown our for PG here.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:48 pm

A bit of paragliding was done at the Mynd on Wednesday by a few pilots, and I went XC from Much Marcle.
Today is obviously blown out.
Friday just might be flyable, though I think very top-end for PG but should be ok for HG's at the Mynd.
Saturday looks poor and windy at present but Sunday might be on at the Mynd again for HG's and possibly PG's.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.