View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 28th May

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 28th May

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am

Bank holiday Monday. Well apart from the significant chance of some large clouds building to cu-nims, it should be a nice flyable day, albeit not a cross country day really. In north Wales likely to be light easterly and heading down towards south Wales more likely to be NE. Cloud base is never expected to get very high, however over towards the coast it should be a bit drier and therefore higher. Cloudbase around here starting off really low and gradually getting higher during the day by a massive amount - reaching maybe 3500ft by teatime, can't see much point in going out too early.

Peak district should be ok too but might be a bit windy there, or maybe nicely ridge soarable, but with no experience of flying easterlies there I won't suggest anything

So I think the options are - Peaks if you know it well. PenyCloddiau East, Blorenge, Heol Senni, one of the mid wales club easterly/NE sites, Pandy. Corndon if you can't travel anywhere better. Malverns just might work, they do tend to be useable when it's off to the north a bit though not ideal it just depends how accurate the forecasts turn out to be in terms of the easterly wind up north and NE further south.

Rest of the week, broadly easterly and flyable and probably a bit of the same as Monday but gradually getting clearer and better air.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday, 28th May

Postby Graeme Baird » Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am

Corndon was fogged in until late pm, when it cleared and one pilot called Neil ? flew. Peny didn't have enough wind to soar. Don't know what happened at KS.
Graeme Baird

Postby David Broughton » Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am

Peny also came on for some evening flying after a gusty afternoon.
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu May 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Sunday is looking promising, but there's still the chance of cu-nims at present based on lapse rate charts. Easterly.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:25 am

Saturday still looking grotty around here. However it does look a bit better down south, probably westerly in Thames valley but southerly on the Dorset coast.
Sunday looking good around here but maybe no longer easterly and maybe hardly any wind.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am

Yes, just to agree with Dave, at the moment, Sunday doesn't look much good around here in terms of flying because of the light winds. The Peak District would be a much safer bet, on the current forecasts. Or maybe some sites in Snowdonia, but I don't know those well enough to say where.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Actually, Saturday could be ok on the mynd, though likely to be cloudy, possibly rain earlier on. Also the winds dropping gradually throughout the day. So a slight possibility, if the rain holds off, if you time it right.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:41 pm

People went XC in South Wales and Thames valley today, I haven't heard of any flying in our area though - please say if you did.
Sunday looking generally good air, though I'm not going to discount that cu-nim risk anywhere from the lapse charts. However as Geoff has said it's the wind - or lack of it - certainly no chance of ridge soaring here, unless somewhere at the coast gets enough of a sea breeze set up. Our area, might be slightly easterly so Corndon is the only option for those willing to take the risk of numerous slope landings before getting up in a thermal. There looks to be the chance of a bit of a SW wind down in the Thames valley area, but things are so varied anything might happen. Same goes for the Peaks - where there's supposed to be a light NW wind.
Dave Thomas

Postby Mark Hogan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:57 pm

There was a small window on Sat morning where a handful managed to soar at the Mynd. After that it dropped off and a couple of rough thermals came through that I tried to make use of - only managed to get to just over 100ft ato before I lost the lift. Left just after lunch when it was still unsoarable and going southerly.
Mark Hogan

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.