View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Bache and Sarn

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Bache and Sarn

Postby Nick Le Gras » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Bache
Our sites officer kevin Williams continues to keep in touch with the farmer in the hope that flying may one day be resumed. The farmer still states unequivocally that their is to be absolutely no flying from his property ,there are to be no exceptions, infringements are considered by him to be trespass.

Sarn
This site is becoming more popular now the trees have been harvested to the frontage (we are hugely indebted to our out going sites officer John Antill) for his unstinting efforts on our behalf to bring this about .

However all members should please note that this is considered to be a "sensitive site" the owners are new to us and paragliding and we are almost certainly on trial.

New rules that apply :
A) text, Ric tel non. 07799691444 is to be made to the farmer to confirm presence/ identity is to take place (first on site )

B)There are to be absolutely no vehicles driving to the hill frontage
parking is however permissible in the field, just inside the gate ,such that the lane can be kept clear
Nick Le Gras

Re: Bache and Sarn

Postby Nick Le Gras » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:14 am

Sarn

This site is regrettably now permanently closed to us

The owners have taken the decision to not permit us to resume flying following the Covid shutdown .

they do not wish to complicate a new tenancy agreement which is pending we understand.

we will off course seek to negotiate going forward ,but we should in the interim respect the wishes of the landowner
many thanks
Nick Le Gras

Postby Roy Dade » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:39 pm

One for Kev but is there any update on Sarn?

Having flown there a few times it seems to me that members only made sense given the sensitivity, perhaps we could offer to restrict it further say to P rated to minimise numbers if that was a factor in the owners decision?

It was a wonderful site in a NNE.

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby kevin williams » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm

With regard to Sarn, in my opinion we have no chance recovering the site whilst the current people own the hill. They are conservationists and very keen to protect the natural flora & fauna & wild life on the hill. It’s been a sensitive site for the past couple of years. They approached me about the matter over a year ago when they asked us to stop driving our vehicles across the field to the launch area. We abided with their request. They then asked that we message them each time we are flying the hill so they know who it is. We abided with their request. Later on they complained about rubbish being left on the hill but I managed to argue it was unlikely to be pilots but the wind blowing rubbish off the lane over their field. We demonstrated this by taking photos of rubbish being left in the parking area & lane adjacent to the field which could easily be picked up by the wind. No pilots had been present on the site for weeks due to adverse weather which proved the rubbish it wasn’t left by us but probably hikers. At this time it became quite obvious that they were becoming more uneasy with our presence on the hill and regarded us as unconducive to their conservationist ideals and looking for any reason/excuse to use to close the site to us.
kevin williams

Postby Geoffm » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for the update Kevin, much appreciated. A real shame.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Roy Dade » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Kev

Thanks for the heads up, that all makes a lot of sense.

When I get some time free I’ll show you the other local sites I agreed with landowners a few years back, I also noticed a N facing site marked on air charts near Newcastle on Clun, I’m guessing an old Welsh Borders Club site? I’ve also spotted a small potential NNE site near Cressage, most likely would have to be P rated.

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby David Broughton » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for you efforts to retain Sarn Kevin(I rarely went there).

I doubt very much the owners' assertion of conservationist ideals as the site is heavily grazed by sheep & a few PGs visiting a few times a year wouldn't have much impact. More a case of "GET ORF MY LAND" I think!
David Broughton

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.