View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Webcams - Down ?

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Webcams - Down ?

Postby Mark Hogan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 am

Hi, In case no one is aware yet -

Both webcams appear to have issues -

North stopped at 08:01 this morning and South at 19:01 last night (South also showing as No Signal test card on the mysolarcam.com site)
Mark Hogan

Re: Webcams - Down ?

Postby Crawford Coulson » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:40 am

Thanks Mark, appreciated!

I did put something about it on telegram - worth joining the Telegram 'Sites Reports' group if you're interested as its much quicker to post something quickly there when I'm on my phone only.

Dave T is the webcam guru so when he gets a chance he will have a look but he may be tied up for today though.
Crawford Coulson

Postby Crawford Coulson » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:48 am

Note the weather station data is current & the the MGC webcam facing west further down our page indicates it is working & likely would be as it operates differently to the LMSC ones.
Crawford Coulson

Postby Mark Hogan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:52 am

Thanks Crawford - I am already in the Telegram groups but didn't see your entry as I don't have my personal mobile connected to the internet all the time when I am at work and Telegram isn't allowed on my work laptop.
Mark Hogan

Postby Crawford Coulson » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:50 pm

I couldn't remember though it was a suggestion to anyone viewing this chat as much as anything - trying to get as many pilots that fly LMSC sites to join at least the Telegram LMSC Sites Reports group as we can. Good point though on Telegram being blocked in some workspaces!

Doesn't look like we missed much, pretty windy soon after 10am!
Crawford Coulson

Postby Crawford Coulson » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:35 am

The clubs Long Mynd north facing webcam is working again! The south facing one not yet.

Conditions look Ok at the moment but some heavy cloud approaching.

(General point to anyone not sure - if the time & date embedded on the webcam image is accurate, the webcam is working, it is worth getting into the habit of checking this and not just glancing at the picture as they are devils to keep working consistently).
Crawford Coulson

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:51 am

Update on Solarcam images on the Long Mynd (Longmynd North and South). Solarcam still say there's nothing wrong with their kit and the issue is poor/failing signal strength. They have suggested it might be because the Video requires a much better 4G signal (which is one of the reasons we migrated to THREE), and if 4G is not running in the morning when the device reboots, it fails completely until the next or a future reboot. So I've turned off video for a while to see if it is reliable once again. If it is, I'll turn video back on and see if we start getting failures again.

It would be useful for people with Data enabled THREE SIM cards stand under the pole and check the signal strength - Crawford suggested we need to check upload speed rather than purely the signal strength as we do have to upload the images to the solarcam central server. If they fail at any time, it would be handy to check then as well.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.