View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Weather station needs repair

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Weather station needs repair

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Up on the sarn weather station, after many years service, the anemometer and weather vane have rusted and worn out their bearings. A complete replacement will have to be purchased and installed. I guess it's something that will happen to all of them in time, but this was the first one we bought. Camera unit, solar panel and the mounting pole all look good still.
Dave Thomas

Re: Weather station needs repair

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:15 am

Sorry but the Mynd cameras and weather station have now been removed for repair to the weather station - they are installed as one complete installation so the lot have had to come down as the expected replacement part which was a simple plugnplay fitting didn't fix things.

Separately we do have a replacement part for the Sarn camera anemometer, so that will be fitted when people have time to do it and hopefully that will fix that one - it does work but rusted up so has to be a gale to make it go round.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 am

The mynd weather station tests defined by the manufacturer have so far been inconclusive. Therefore the sarn unit has been taken down to swap components around to work out where the fault lies. All being well the mynd will be fixed by next weekend.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Further update, following swapping components and electrical testing advised by the manufacturer, and trying the brand new anemometer units, all that did not get us anywhere. However the Mynd unit starting working intermittently overnight, and today seems to be working fully - no idea why other than a dodgy connection, so it's a bit soon to go putting the kit back up as thats quite a job and we need to find the root cause fault first. Further testing and investigations continue.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:54 pm

We are ruling out certain things though, which is a plus! I'm pretty certain we will have a working station at the Mynd next week, cannibalising the Sarn unit. I'm sorry it's taking so much time, but it's a lengthy process, not least of which is physically taking down the two stations.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 pm

As I said, this takes time - not least because I've been on holiday, away, for a few days. I could have cancelled the holiday and fixed the weather station... anyway, the original Sarn board is now on the Mynd, since today. The original Mynd board is in my garage. Both are currently working. A number of people have been involved in this - me, Holfuy staff, Crawford, Ben (who heroically, and single handed, retrieved the Sarn unit), Dave Thomas. We haven't been sitting around doing nothing, just in case anybody has been complaining it is taking too long to get fixed - not that anybody would cmplain, of course. (Well, I was sitting around a lot on my holidays). But seriously, the club should be extremely grateful that we have these facilities - both to the committee and to the Midland Gliding Club where they are sited.

I'm testing the Mynd setup in live conditions for a day or two before reinstating on the web site.

Any complaints, please contact me direct. geoffm@directlearn.co.uk
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.