View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Reserve parachute packing

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Reserve parachute packing

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:25 pm

On the assumption that lockdown won't be lifted sufficiently before we are allowed to fly, in order to get together for a repacking session, maybe it's time to either have your reserve packed in readiness or repack it yourself. No point booking a room for us to do a self pack session as don't know if we'll be allowed, but as long as you have a reasonable amount of space it's perfectly possible to do it at home - unless you have a big room it might require a bit of furniture shifting and aligning the lines through a doorway and into another room to get them taught.

Issues I've seen during our club self repack sessions:
1) rubber bands that have decomposed and useless allowing lines to potenitally tangle.
2) rubber bands too tight restricting ease of unfurling of the lines as the reserve is thrown
3) inner bag main elastic band too tight with lines pushed too far through, completely preventing the bag from opening at all.
4) connenction to harness not correctly routed
5) tight installation in harnes making it hard to extract - best to try it at the very least hanging in the harness. What we did at our sessions was two people held onto the carabiners whilst the pilot threw the reserve from a flying position. Not as good as simulating the high G from a locked in spiral, but better than nothing. ideally rig up something or find a good tree near home to attach to.

For those that haven't tried before, it's not that difficult if you have the space, a good manual or online guide and plenty of time to do it. Most important thing is allow yourself the time, not to be in a rush and have the opportunity if you are not completely happy then just start from the beginning again. If it become too much for you, you still have the option of paying to have it packed and end up with a safe reserve in time to start 2021 flying season.

If you are willing to try, you will need new rubber bands, whatever you do, do not reuse bands, and especially don't use synthetic as they stretch as you put them on and don't return to original size. Another bit of advice, make or buy a line folding thing - don't know the name. I made one last year and it made the whole job so massively easier, will take a photo and post it later.

The club has a supply of rubber bands, size 8 which are 7/8 inch diameter. If you need any, please just email lmsc.safety@gmail.com with your name and address and we'll send you some in the post.
Dave Thomas

Re: Reserve parachute packing

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:05 am

The Malvern club have just posted about one of their members who had their reserve professionally repacked and it was found to have lines twisted which could have made the canopy not open fully, or maybe even at all in time. They advise to always get it repacked before use if you buy second-hand. However a while back I bought a brand new Gin One-G reserve and flew wth it in my harness for a year before I repacked it myself, only to find one of the lines was right over the top of the canopy, and that was most likely have made it pretty useless. I'm lucky to be here I think, so my advice will always be to get even a brand new one repacked.

Here's a picture of the thing I copied from a packing video, and it's made the job a lot neater, quicker and easier.

repack_lines.jpg
repack tool

For scale - The tiles below the board are 300mm squares
Dave Thomas

Postby Ian Alexander Morrissey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi Dave
Any chance you could put some dimensions on your packing thing picture or even some object by it so we could guess the size if it is not too crucial. Thanks.
Ian Alexander Morrissey

Postby Ian Alexander Morrissey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm

2017_02_21_h.jpg
From
Jérôme Daoust
Ian Alexander Morrissey

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.