View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 21st December

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 21st December

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:57 am

Thursday looks nice but most likely blown out. Wind direction NNW. Long mountain is in Wales so that's out, and none of our sites are good in a very fresh wind, but it might calm down by then with any luck. Friday looks on at the long mynd. Forecasts vary on wind strength but most seem to say good.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 21st December

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:12 am

Oh, forgot to say, it's nothing going east today, Tuesday, but I don't think it will get soarable until it's started raining.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:30 am

Xmas day now looks rather light around here - still broadly westerly, but much lighter so may not be soarable - windier further east, but RASP is marginally more hopeful for the Mynd.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Xmas day now looks rather light around here - still broadly westerly, but much lighter so may not be soarable

Just top to bottoms then? :twisted:
David Broughton

Postby Graeme Baird » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:54 pm

I wonder if the NT warden will be there checking on us?
Graeme Baird

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:48 am

Forecasts vary greatly on wind strength, but there is a general increase with height so that's good to give a better chance of thermal mixing bringing some stronger winds down to ground. And yes I think it will be thermic, at least for a short period as the sun is so incredibly low in the sky, if it was May it would be a high star rasp xc day. I imagine there will be plenty of pilots wishing they were able to join those on a hill today. Best of luck for your own particular happy Christmas day.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.