View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Lockdown - Longmynd

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Lockdown - Longmynd

Postby John Antill » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 am

Sunday 22nd Nov driving past our take off field I noted a paraglider flying and what appeared to be two other pilots withdrawing kit from their cars. Some have no wish to consider the wider community in favour of their own selfish actions.
The committee work hard on our behalf and their efforts are countered by a few selfish people.
John Antill

Re: Lockdown - Longmynd

Postby David Broughton » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 pm

As it happens I doubt that the Mynd was very good for flying on Saturday. It seemed to be light and off to south in the morning and too strong in the afternoon. Maybe an hour or so around lunchtime would have been OK.

It is unsurprising that pilots tried to take the opportunity to fly when chances are so limited at this time of year & i don't think the committee should be arbitrarily closing sites to prevent a perfectly legal activity when other reputable clubs are allowing their members (and visitors) free rein - Peak District & Malvern to name a couple.
David Broughton

Postby Richard Jerman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 pm

It was regrettable to see that pilots had chosen to fly at the weekend on the Mynd and Wrekin. Maybe they ignored our site guide or maybe they weren't members and were unaware, either way it could have been damaging.

The committee don't take decisions like closing sites lightly, with the lockdown coming into effect I contacted both sites officers, and other members of the committee and all wholeheartedly agreed closing the English sites would be best for our club.

I understand the frustration and inconvenience of the members, but I believe it's a small price to pay at this time of year to safeguard our sites and keep public opinion of us in high regard.

The guidance we have on whether we should or shouldn't fly is irrelevant when it comes down to arguing the toss with a landowner, who is of the understanding that the country is in lockdown and its essential travel only.

Dave, I know most other clubs are open and that's their prerogative, each club must be individual and not follow blindly like sheep in these circumstances. I'm sure John will agree that sites are hard won and kept but easily lost.

I have heard that some members have said " but we own the Mynd" this is correct but we don't own the landing field, and although use of it has been agreed, the signing of the documents are being awaited by the National Trust and we wouldn't want anything jeopardising this as its very important.

Im hopeful that the sites will reopen next week and I thank you all for your patience with us on this matter.

I would kindly ask again that if any members have any questions or grievances with committee decisions, please contact us via email or on the forum as complaining on other social media platforms/chats does not give us the chance to reply.

Kind regards,

Rich,

LMSC Chair.
Richard Jerman

Postby David Broughton » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks for the reply Richard.

Whilst we may not always agree it is good to see the committee are prepared to engage with the membership and explain the reasons for their decisions.

(Good job the weather is so awful!)
David Broughton

Postby Richard Jerman » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:28 am

Thanks Dave, we will endeavour to answer any questions asked by the membership, and yes you're right we have been fortunate with the weather!
Richard Jerman

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.