View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 2nd October

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 2nd October

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am

Well, subject to any decisions made by the BHPA, regarding flying in England from Thursday onwards it does look like being a lot more flyable.
Wednesday light west to north winds, dry and sunny so depending on how it turns out there should be somewhere to launch from of our available sites.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 2nd October

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:21 am

Small chance of the Mynd being suitable for HG's later this afternoon as the weather clears, but there is due to be still high winds aloft at 30knts at 2000ft, plus some large towering Cu to avoid.

Wednesday, still looking promising for some ridge soaring in clear air, most probably our NW sites, and at present it's on the border between being quite light, just right or windy enough for long mountain only (which is in Wales). Winds due to be a bit less in Wales but I think that's out for most of us due to the existing Welsh lockdown.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:53 am

Today still looks good, more westerly for longer during the morning now so long mynd looks ok, the upper NW winds are due to come in and mix so Mynd may well become well off for a while, but some forecasts sugest it might go wnw again. Inversion or cloudbase height a decent 3000ft. Other options lawley, clunbury or wrekin but wrekin might become a bit top end to launch. Winds are lighter in wales with better air, but I'm not sure if you live there whether you can travel by car to exercise but 100 house looks ideal or hay bluff.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:57 am

Thursday has very little wind in our area. At first glance peak district looks good, but the lapse charts show a complete 180 degree switch in wind direction from west to east just above 2000ft asl, so could create a lot of turbulence.
Friday easterly but Corndon is in wales so not useable this week.
Dave Thomas

Re: I wouldnt go flying Week beginning Monday 2nd October

Postby Nick Le Gras » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:05 pm

new guidance out
Last edited by Nick Le Gras on Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Le Gras

Re: I wouldnt go flying Week now

Postby Nick Le Gras » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:06 pm

'The DfT has (at 5.10pm) yesterday announced that from 5th November until 2nd December, private pilots (which of course includes glider pilots) should not undertake any sport or leisure flying in line with the requirement to stay at home without reasonable excuse.

My take on that is it would include paragliding additionally

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-aviation
Nick Le Gras

Postby Justin Davies » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:48 pm

From what I read, this doesn’t apply to our Welsh sites for those living within Wales.

Justin
Justin Davies

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.