View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Club Democracy

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Club Democracy

Postby Roy Dade » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 pm

As a club member I would just like to make a plea to the Committee to make the forthcoming election of club officials as open free and as fair as possible.

Firstly in accordance with the club constitution “ Potential committee members must declare any financial interest connected with Hang Gliding or Paragliding to the membership or if such an interest occurs during office, to the committee.”

These are financial interests which may potentially unethically or unlawfully influence members' official duties. The words “may potentially” are crucial as unless we are open suspicion about peoples motives will be rife.

Secondly due to COVID we cant attend the AGM in person so please consider another means to allow all members to have their vote whether that is postal or email. The counting of votes also needs to be above and beyond suspicion.

Finally can we hear something about the candidates or give them a platform to set out their stall and take questions at the Zoom meeting? Many will be entirely unknown to members. What better way to engage if they are taking up a public office.

I think the onus is on committee to demonstrate that the election is going to be free, open and fair so we can get this train back on the tracks!
Roy Dade

Re: Club Democracy

Postby John Antill » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 am

I am curious to know what has prompted this. Do you have information which we should all be aware of?
From my little experience there has been a difficulty in filling the posts. The AGM in the past has only been attended by the odd member in addition to the committee.
Why the sudden interest?
John Antill

Re: Club Democracy

Postby Roy Dade » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 am

Hi John

No I don’t have information that anyone should be aware of but that’s the point of that line in the constitution. There are though financial interests as both schools use club sites for commercial gain, do candidates have a sideline selling equipment or could they stand to gain financially in their professional capacity from the expenditure of club funds?

If it’s in the constitution and it protects club officers from members questioning their motives then it ought to be done?

I think it’s also fair to say that new candidates need to tell us something about themselves and what they plan to do in their role? That applies even more to those seeking re-election having been in post for several terms?

I think if the club does a few small things to engage it’s members we can all then get behind the new committee and continue to grow the LMSC?
Roy Dade

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.