View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

LMSC Telegram Sites Reports Proposal

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

LMSC Telegram Sites Reports Proposal

Postby Roy Dade » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm

The Telegram Site Reports and Chat Group I created now have a significant membership, 104 and 101 respectively. I have passed ownership to Luke Evans however the Club have not officially adopted them.

I propose that they are considered for adoption accepting that the Club may have alternatives in the pipeline.

Background

Telegram has found a critical mass as an instant messaging app among the free flight community. It is used by most clubs to:
• Report and Share
o weather observations.
o parking or access issues.
o Incidents, angry landowners and members of the public.
o numbers flying or parawaiting at the site.
o Requests for retrieve.
o Coaching and Weather advice.
• It also the bearer for XC Retrieve.
• Some clubs also use it for discussion on club and social matters, sale of kit, kit wanted etc.

Advantages

• It has the advantage of being the one app where you can access multiple flying groups and clubs.
• It is fast.
• It is free.
• It is multi platform (smartphone, PC, tablet Windows, Android, Apple).
• Groups can be open or closed.

Disadvantages

• Requires a little management (Owner and admins to moderate, membership admin)

Benefits

• Swift reporting and sharing.
• Improve flying safety.
• Protection of sites by informing and sharing issues. (visiting pilots).
• Improve membership engagement and cohesion (if managed well).
• Sharing of flying knowledge and experience.
Roy Dade

Re: LMSC Telegram Sites Reports Proposal

Postby Roy Dade » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Well as a lowly member I’ve put forward a proposal for an all inclusive chat group. To date we have not had anything from the Comms Officer other than reasons why not and when emailed him to offer to come up with some moderation rules not even an acknowledgement. Hows that for Comms?

If there is one single thing that would help pull this club together its a common chat group. A cross club group would also get over the problem we have of small groups going their own way.

No wonder the last committee lost touch with what the mood music is if they were having to tap into so many groups including Telegram and Team Leavesley Whats App.

Brian, due respect to all volunteers but please, please, please get a move on and sort it!
Roy Dade

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.