View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 5th October

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 5th October

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Next weekend may just turn out good. Before then there is just too much weather going on to think about, but avoiding the rain there may well be the odd opportunity for some.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 5th October

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:11 am

Thursday, late afternoon looks possible, certainly from Long Mountain as it is due to go more NW than at present and the wind speed drop. Just before dark it may go westerly enough for the Mynd. Wales is lighter winds than in England. Cloudbase as the front clears about 3000ft with some moderate towering Cu but nothing really radical.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Friday late afternoon may be on at the Mynd, certainly for HG's and possibly PG's. Winds aloft remain strong though so it might a case of gale hanging.
Sunday looks possible with NNW winds and fairly breezy but hopefully ok with base about 3000ft or a bit more and dry.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Might have been a bit too optimistic for today, looks like it's far too windy at present and not reducing as I expected.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 am

Sunday has WNW winds and light at present, but due to veer NNW by mid morning and increase a lot before very gradually backing again. Long Mountain is an obvious choice, In that area there are likely to be some large cloud developments which are likely to not only kill thermal activity but change wind direction and especially speed at times. I hear that many may go to 100 House. Also Llandinam could be an option, though very big just may be in the blocking lee of the higher hills-- as indicated by RASP anyway. I did think about going to Clunbury as direction and air look better there, but an unpleasant windy experience earlier this year has put me off. Lawley might be launchable from the lower take off area, though the wind is a long way off the right direction it is usually flyable when off to the north. One of those days that could turn out really nice to soar or be gusty and blown out, though at least the wind speed and direction aloft are pretty much the same as low down, which is likely to reduce some turbulence influences.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:10 pm

There were loads at Long Mountain, all having a good time, plus Micks Students and many modellers, but all worked out very well I think. Also flying was had at Wrekin and 100 House, not sure about any of other nearby sites.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.