View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

LMSC Committee Meeting 12 Oct 20?

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

LMSC Committee Meeting 12 Oct 20?

Postby Roy Dade » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:23 am

Having chatted to the Chairman yesterday I understand the Committee are meeting via Zoom on 12 Oct 20?

Given that the AGM was cancelled and that under the club constitution members can attend Committee meetings and put up points for consideration could I ask that we see the calling notice, agenda, deadline for members submissions and dial in details?

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Re: LMSC Committee Meeting 12 Oct 20?

Postby Matt Bayliss » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:45 am

That would be great - I'd imagine we're all used to Zoom et al by now ;) . Utilising such technology for ths type of meeting hopefully would lead to a more engaged membership - it's always been difficult for me to get to Bridgenorth on a weekday after work for example.
Matt Bayliss

Re: LMSC Zoom Committee Meeting 12 Oct 20 @ 7.0 pm

Postby Nick Le Gras » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Their will be a Zoom committee meeting
12 Oct 7.0 pm

Club members are invited to both attend and take part in discussions .

Written questions and or queries of the committee members will be required in advance of the meeting by email to either the Secretary or the Chairman ,to be received no later than Wednesday 7th Oct 12:00pm.

Following expirary of the deadline outlined above the proposed agenda (which will reflect the subjects raised by the membership) and necessary joining details will be issued .

N.Le Gras
LMSC chair.
Nick Le Gras

Postby Roy Dade » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Nick

Many thanks for that, could I suggest that members be able to copy their questions or proposals here? If we know something is being asked or proposed by members it might save anyone repeating something?
Roy Dade

Postby David Broughton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I can't get that MAIL thing to work that pops up when I click on Chairman's name - just keep getting a request to set up an account (which I have done) but repeated attempts to log in just bring up more requests to set up an account!

Is there an actual email address i can use?
David Broughton

Postby Crawford Coulson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

when you click its trying to open an email program on your computer Dave. But if instead you move the mouse over the link without clicking, you should see the email address pop-up on the page, possibly bottom left, that you can then copy.

However, it is chairman or secretary [at] longmynd.org (no spaces)
Crawford Coulson

Postby David Broughton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Ah yes - thank you. My bad.
David Broughton

Postby Roy Dade » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Hopefully Nick will come back to us on copying our questions and proposals here if appropriate to save potential duplication e.g.

I have raised the question of a quarterly newsletter but other subjects on my list likely to include:

- protecting our remaining sites, risk of loss and mitigation. Corndon seems high on the list as we’ve lost Sarn.

- clarification on the relationship between club coaching and Team Leavesley?

- Club relationship with BHPA Schools?

- current state of membership and finances given that we know this has impacted the BHPA during COVID?

Could be a long evening but sharing our questions might help save everyone’s time?

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby Nick Le Gras » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Carry on here by all means
Nick Le Gras

Postby Roy Dade » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Started a new thread on a proposal for a club / school agreement but it’s linked to this one. Responses welcomed?

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby Roy Dade » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Started a new thread on a proposal for a club / school agreement but it’s linked to this one. Responses welcomed?

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby Ian Alexander Morrissey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Some points from me;
• It was a bit of a shock when the subs went up by 50% without consultation.
• I am fine with Mick and Mark working on our sites. It is great for recruiting new members (I think?) and both are
always willing to offer help when asked.
• I assume our site owners are aware who the schools are?
• Is Team Leavesley a BHPA club like Mark D’s Beyond Extreme club?
• Corndon Hill needs protecting as a site. Both gates at the bottom junction were blocked by parked cars last time
I was there but it is also a popular spot for walkers to park. It would be good if we could have a 4x4 plus first aid
kit at the top for possible emergencies.
• Communication is an issue. Some idea if anyone is going out to our far flung sites would be great for those of us
who need to get out more.
• Any chance we can organise meets/briefings for our lesser used sites?
• The weather stations are great.
• Coaching-I have no idea how I can take my pilot exam. Mark’s ground handling sessions are good and a site where
we can practice would be great.
• Radios-great idea to have our club frequency for all sorts of reasons.
• Quite a few people make youtube and vimeo movies. It would be good to have links to them in a similar way to
paragliding forum.
• Roy’s telegram sites seem to work well and are more” immediate “than the forum.
• Communications from the committee to members is too infrequent and slow. Bringing back newsletter would
help; I know it needs people to contribute!
• If we are ever allowed to travel abroad again how about a club trip?
• I like the idea of helmet stickers.
• I have no idea what is going on with Bache but if we have members in the know we should do our best to get it
back.
Ian Alexander Morrissey

Postby Roy Dade » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Well I’ve submitted my question and proposals to the Committee and have asked to attend the meeting on the 12th via Zoom.

In outline they include a question over risks to our remaining sites, official adoption of Telegram Site Reports and Chat Group, a 2m Radio Site Safety Frequency for the Long Mynd and finally a proposal for a Club / Schools Agreement on the commercial use of our club sites.

The latter is really about protecting the club officials and membership by defining our relationship with BHPA schools more clearly. It could be argued we have a responsibility to do that as the club is responsible for site management and we wouldn't want to be seen jointly and severally liable in the event of a claim?

If anyone is thinking of submitting similar questions or proposals to mine drop me a line to mrrdade@gmail.com so that we can avoid duplication.

Regards

Roy

“Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much”
Roy Dade

Postby Crawford Coulson » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 am

I’m pleased to see this meeting is going ahead and has been publicised.

I don’t see the need to repeat what I raised before, I think it suffices to say that the club has lowering membership, dramatically increasing expenditure, site loss worries and an issue with committee/ordinary member relations. None of this is sustainable.

I urge the new interim chair with the committee and hopefully with ordinary member involvement, to see what the immediate issues to tackle are (sites & Comms?), to get much required protocols in place where none seem to currently exist (e.g. compensation payouts, GDPR & conflict resolution) and to consider a vision & a plan for the Clubs short and longer term future.

I’m happy to help and to provide feedback if wanted. It’s a shame we can’t currently have face to face meetings but hopefully next year!

I look forward to attending and hopefully for it to be the start of a positive turnaround for all.
Crawford Coulson

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:35 am

On behalf of the rest of the committee I would like to thank all the club members who joined the committee meeting last night. A lot of boring talking, some incorrect assumptions and rumours laid to rest and a lot of useful thought provoking questions from the members who had posted questions. I hope that the improved level of interest in club matters continues as there are many things which were not on the agenda which are important aspects of the work done and decisions made by the committee.

Thank you.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.