View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Webcams

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Webcams

Postby David Broughton » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am

Just a word about reliability.

I thought that the new webcam at the Mynd should be a Holfuy as they had proved very reliable at Sarn & Clatter. My suggestion to move the Sarn set-up to the Mynd was apparently dismissed & since Holfuy no longer supply the cameras (?) a different system (Solarcam) was bought and has been installed and is working.

However I see that a similar webcam at Llangollen (which was working OK) became "stuck" on 8 Sept for a time and is now stuck on 15 Sept. I hope that we don't encounter such reliability issues with our new kit because that's what we wanted to overcome!

PS. Llangollen webcam allows a zoomed view and the facility to cycle around other cameras in the system but ours doesn't, why?
David Broughton

Re: Webcams

Postby Luke Evans » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:24 pm

The webcam that we have on the Mynd , as you state is not Holfly .. as Holfly will not sell the systems that we had already purchased ..
Dave T has done long and extensive research into all available systems and which suit our needs best, and the Solarcam was the preferred choice when the ordering of the weather station was placed
The choice was by the committee at the time to keep the Sarn cam and provide an new cam on the Mynd
As you know the Solarcam was placed on test near Nicks were it performed without fault
So was then moved to the position it is now for the Mynd view ( this took little longer due to Covid 19 restrictions)

Dave T will have to answer the Llangollen webcam question ( i do not know the anwer )
Luke Evans

Postby Mark Hogan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:21 am

Hi Dave,
I've had a bit of a play and found the following - If you click on the FULL RESOLUTION button on the Timelapse image for either webcam this takes you to a page (e.g. https://www.mysolarcam.com/LongMyndNorth/ or https://www.mysolarcam.com/LongMyndSouth/)where you can play more with the image e.g. If you click on the image on the new page that opens a zoomed in view, you can also do other things to vary the timelapse e.g can get a yearsworth - click on "Doc" for guidance.

Cheers,
Mark.
Mark Hogan

Postby David Broughton » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:31 pm

OK - Thanks Mark. I guess the different camera views (mostly in France) are cos the Llangollen cam is on solarcams own website whereas Long Mynd is on our website.
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Our Long Mynd Solarcams are a significantly more advanced model than the one at Llangollen - in terms of it's potential picture quality. However, having done extensive testing ours are set at about the best level for use on a PC or phone at present, as going up in terms of picture quality causes a massive jump in the data transport required to the extent of using the best part of a months worth of data in a day. Also it uses too much solar power energy and flattens the battery at the rate of pictures we need. Therefore is not economically viable. As Mark says you can click on 'full resolution' button and can download much better quality images, ideal if you want to put it on your widescreen TV, if you have nothing better to do with your life. I have set them at 15 minute intervals which seems about right to give a nice rolling view of the clouds but could make them a little more frequent if people so desire.

Regarding Llangollen, I have no direct knowledge of it other than speaking to the installer from their club prior to buying ours, who had issues with it falling off and also getting wet.

Ours came with the most awful brackets that wouldn't have lasted in todays wind in fact to my mind were not fit to be outside anywhere. However I reinforced the solar panels and Nick has done an excellent professional job of producing more robust mountings for the solar panels and the camera units, which we hope will be sufficient to cope with their location. I had begged Holfuy to make their weather stations with cameras again but it was a definite no, but the Solarcams do have a much better photo capability anyway.

All in all, along with our other weather and site data we have by far the best set of information of any club in this country, so I am grateful that the club have invested your money in the technology.
Dave Thomas

Postby Nick Le Gras » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:09 pm

I suppose one day Mr Broughton will see something positive in our our actions on the clubs behalf , Dave ...will he ?
Nick Le Gras

Postby David Broughton » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:17 pm

ok
Attachments
709a6d1dfb85d9c301832714883d8bc4--funny-emoticons-smileys.jpg
709a6d1dfb85d9c301832714883d8bc4--funny-emoticons-smileys.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 651 times
David Broughton

Postby David Broughton » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Long mynd North cam appears to be "stuck" on Friday 19.15. Just teething problems I guess. :roll:
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Dave, Yes it is broken. I've been in touch with Solarcam and they say their unit is fine - when I configure it I get message ''Your connection seems too slow 4G mode'

O2 say this - We've been working on phone masts in this area in the past 24 hours. Sorry if you couldn't use your phone. Try a reboot.

The Solarcams reboot themselves overnight automatically and there's no remote way of forcing a reboot, so I just hope it works tomorrow. Why the South one works I have no idea and it's most frustrating as it's never happened before, especially when there's people flying the Mynd today as shown on south camera.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:38 am

Dave Thomas wrote:The Solarcams reboot themselves overnight automatically and there's no remote way of forcing a reboot, so I just hope it works tomorrow.

The Llangollen cam was out for weeks. It is now working again thanks to intervention by Dave Edwards. I got a suggestion there was a problem with it drawing power from the battery but I'm not sure if that was really the problem or how it was resolved.
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Dave the power on our unit is fine, the voltage has been going up consistently while it's not sending pictures, hence the sunshine and lack doing anything useful with the power. I'm in dialogue with France, but no resolution by them as yet. If all else fails we'll get the old indoor camera pointing at launch reinstated as a temporary measure - it has been dismounted and removed. You're not as frustrated about it as I am as the thing is actually working just saying it's a poor 4G signal - however O2 are still doing Mast repairs today, so their website says. That does not explain why one works and the other does not.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:17 am

Dave Thomas wrote:That does not explain why one works and the other does not.

Now the south cam has froze on Wednesday - you just couldn't make it up!

(sorry for the negativity Nick)

Edit: PS. So has the Llangollen Solarcam!

Edit - It's woken up now! Must have been the lack of daylight cutting off the power.
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm

Dave, I think the occasional blip like the south camera is because O2 have been working on the transmitters all week they say, or at least I hope that's the reason we've had problems. However for some reason it's screwed up the North camera, which we've had out today and it is taking photos fine - we could see it doing them, just not sending them out. It's been taken away to resolve and tested for a short while to make sure it's fit to go back up.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:24 pm

The North camera is now back up on the pole, but the battery voltage is too low, as soon as tomorrows sunshine gets it going again above 4 volts, hopefully it will be back working again ok.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 am

North Camera now available to view, however the voltage is hovering close to the minimum so it might have to go off again temporarily, depending on how sunny it is today. I wanted to get it working to view in case it's flyable later today.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.