View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 14th September

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 14th September

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Monday is warm and sunny but light SSE to SE and inverted again. Light winds low down but stronger above the inversion, Wrekin may work but I'd suggest going late on to give the best chance for the inversion to rise a bit. Whether Corndon will I'm not sure as it's not a great direction to get much ridge lift.

On current forecasts, it might be the best of the week, though Wednesday holds a glimmer of hope.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 14th September

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 am

Monday is as before but winds early in the day now expected to be even lighter and more variable. Just might go more east later on as the wind increases to possibly soarable which if that happens may make Wrekin difficult but better for Corndon.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 am

Tuesday i think is looking more positive this afternoon. The wind is due to do a complete 180 degree veer of direction this morning and go west to NW and of a possibly soarable speed. Again the inversion is low and very high cloud may reduce any strong thermals breaking through that inversion but id say it looks better than yesterday turned out. Checking peoples tracklogs i couldnt find anywhere in the uk that turned out better than the Wrekin looked.
Dave Thomas

Postby Tony Goodridge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 am

Corndon was working nicely yesterday (14th)..soaring the SE
Tony Goodridge

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Tony, Thank you for letting us know about Corndon. I did see 3 wings laid out but not flying (looking through binoculars from MGC) but that was earlier in the day so assumed it stayed similar though I did expect it to get better later.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm

I don't think the Mynd ever got very good today though the direction was perfect for a time - at least looking at the weather data anyway.
Wednesday sees yet another continuation of the low inversion level, this time very light North veering East winds and increasing with some inversion level cumulus possible. Corndon late afternoon looks a fairly decent bet for some ridge soaring if you are really keen. Thursday sort of similar but a bit windier.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:13 am

Thursday has much more easterly winds, increasing a bit then decreasing again, so there should be some soaring at Corndon, though the lapse rate charts are poor with little thermal activity except very low down to create some turbulence I think.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Sunday has winds a fair bit less than howling Saturday and at an initial look suggests Corndon may be on with a moderate NE wind, however RASP has claggy cloud at not far above the hill top for much of the day specifically around our area. Therefore I'm very hesitant to suggest that it is going to be suitable. North Wales is lighter winds than most places and not with this patch of low cloud so maybe Penyclodiau East would be a better bet for those up that way, or Pandy in south Wales (SEWHGPG members only).
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.