View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 7th September

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 7th September

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:30 am

Sorry to not post before, but I was away on my own mini vol-biv adventure and EE decided not to allow me internet access.

Anyway it was windy and wet for the main part of Monday, and it looks rubbish now too.
Wednesday possibly Llangollen where the wind is lighter or Long Mountain with NW - NNW winds and base about 3000ft

Thursday looks more promising but not quite so much around here - better further east - but lighter WSW winds and more likely on at the Long Mynd (if wind not too light) with cloudbase up to 4000ft but again the welsh borders have something going on affecting things a bit windier further west and into north Wales.
Then windy again but the weekend might be ok.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 7th September

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:16 pm

Actually at present the wind and weather looks a lot better on the Mynd but no one there, though the sailplanes are flying
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

Wednesday, the wind is currently a fresh westerly with low cloud but it's due to rapidly go NW and stay reasonably on the high side, but a flyable day with base getting to 4000ft. Long Mountain for PG's and Llangollen for HG's I'd say, with this area about the best in the UK for a change. Some forecasts say staying WNW and lighter winds speeds though which might preclude Long Mountain and Llangollen in that case.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:08 am

Very light winds today though is a bit stronger further NW. A lot of cloud so limited thermal activity too. Not looking promising around here and the cloud has already spread further SE than any forecasts predicted.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Well sorry about that as conditions very little like the forecasts with much stronger soarable winds, though it did look very cloudy on the webcams.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm

I thought it was going to be a crap day, as did a bunch of people thinking of coming down from the peaks to fly hangies. But it was much better than the forecast. No massive heights, at least not when I was flying, but pleasant soaring for PGs, and later on perfectly flyable for hangies. People still flying now as I write this.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:42 am

A nice day weather wise for Saturday but whether it will be safely launchable for PGs, 8m not sure about. I've heard of pilots this week at the mynd blindly launching and getting blown back, and the forecasts then were for lighter winds than forecast today. Flying in stronger winds depends very much on 3 things 1) genuine skill level 2) the wing you fly 3) the weighted wing loading. Therefore some can fly in far stronger winds than others.

That said it might end up just right today, and should be easy for HGs anyway, though the wind might be off to the south.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am

A nice sunny but windy day, though it is due to calm down very late on in the evening. Generally SW direction and with the inversion not going much above 2000ft is not looking great at all. For any flying HGs might get a nice ridge soaring day at clatter but at this moment looks well blown out for PGs during the day. Winds are lower away from north Wales though.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.