View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Re: Week beginning Monday 6th July

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:55 pm

Generally pretty windy or wet until the weekend though theres a chance of some ridge soaring oportunities at times especially for HG's. Tuesday looks to be the most likely dry day if any are. Will update Tuesday morning if it looks any good. With the run of low pressures and fronts things can change very rapidly so worth crossing a few fingers.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:56 pm

I think some may have flown the mynd this evening, but its all changed and looks wet for the next 3 days now. Not sure if tomorrow morning will be useable as forecasts vary on how soon the rain rolls in.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 am

Friday has WNW winds at present but due to veer to NW and get stronger during the day. I think the only possible option around here will be Long Mountain, but even then could well be blown out. However if it is launchable will be very thermic with towering cumulus to maybe 15000ft so just a chance of some showers but lots of chance of strong turbulence and gust fronts. Having said that, big clouds like that will temporarily block the wind, reducing it to launchable speeds, so careful timing might allow some flying.
Lighter winds down south of England, higher cloudbase, but still on the windy side.

Weekend looks much better at this moment.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:50 am

Today, many people will have been waiting eagerly for this weather with lovely clean air no towering cu nims and a decent breeze. Forecasts vary only a little on wind speed. Around here the wind is due to be wnw until late on in the day, when veers more nnw in direction. However the wind speed just might be a little bit too strong on the mynd for some paragliders but ideal for HGs. However during the day it is due to gradually reduce as it veers. Therefore, that might enable some sites that can take a stronger breeze such as long mountain and the lower lawley launch.
Elsrwhere, too windy in peak district but lower winds in south wales and southern England where it is much more NW to N all day, and with much higher cloudbase.

Sunday does not look like a ridge soaring day, with winds too light most of the time, but good air.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:51 am

So, on Saturday things turned out slightly different to how I'd expected, with winds generally everywhere lighter, which made for much better conditions for most, though I understand at the likes of Selsley they were becalmed most of the day, but at least plenty of flying around here.

Sunday, I've been musing over all the forecast for a while and come to the conclusion that in fact it might be on at the Long Mynd later this afternoon. Forecasts vary quite considerably - they all agree that the wind will veer from SSE round to somewhere SW or thereabout, but what varies is the time it happens, how strong the wind is and just how much west there is. There is due to be front coming in across Ireland and I think that might put some high level cloud over Wales shutting things down thermically (Lapse charts indicate high cloud and I'm just guessing as to the cause), but the wind is due to be stronger over there much sooner. Options are varied and all carry a good risk of being wrong. If you want a chance of ridge soaring earlier - say lunchtime then go west, Clatter if it's nicely SW, but not good if the wind does get more westerly, maybe Camlo though in that direction it's a rather shallow slope. Later on the wind might push in far enough to reach the Mynd, anyway the Mynd rarely works on very light wind days early as the sun is not on the face until after lunchtime.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:21 am

Dave, Clatter is closed according to the welcome page - though that's not been updated to take account of the removal of the 5 mile limit in Wales.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.