View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 1st June

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 1st June

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:59 am

Well, Until our site owners/managers have been contacted and agreed to their use by local Welsh pilots (it is in progress), then we're still restricted to the few English side of the border locations. Please note though that even when they are open, it will only be for those local Welsh pilots for now.

Therefore, today it's Malverns if it's not too windy. Forecasts have reduced quite a bit from yesterday so it could well be on again for HG definitely and probably PG.

Tuesday, forecasts vary between NNE and NNW, but much lighter than of late. It may be too far off wind wise for ridge soaring our NW facing sites, but could be ok if lucky, and should give some chance of being able to get up in thermals.

Rest of the week then looks like getting windy again, or even a bit of rain.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 1st June

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 am

For the last couple of days, RASP has shown an apparent discrepancy between the pictoral charts and the lapse rate charts for low level wind direction where they show low level winds mostly easterly today but very light with upper winds N to NNW. However other forecasts seem to sow ground level winds N backing NNW during the day, so I'll go with them. I think there's a possible line of convergence to the east of the Cambrians which may be causing the low level easterly wind. I have seen it once on an XC from Long Mountain where the main wind was from the north, but the smoke drift in England was from the east yet the ground level wind from Wales was more inclined from the NW shown by smoke. that convergence line lasted all the way from around Bishops Castle to past Abergavenny. Might not be the case today, so I'm only guessing on what may be causing the odd charts. Anyway Long Mountain is in Wales and I don't live by it so that's off for me and post people. Today it could be any of the NW facing sites - none of which may work, just depends how much west of north it goes.
The Peak District looks a good bet as they have sites ideally placed for their wind directions which is more clearly NNW.
Down south of England looks poor by comparison.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.