View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 18th May

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 18th May

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 am

Quite strong winds most of the week, and with such a limited variety of wind directions available from our open sites, I'll only mention flyable conditions if they look like matching a site.

Monday - WSW to SW and windy-ish probably possible for HG at the Mynd. strong wind gradient with height and low cloudbase/inversion level
Tuesday - WSW or West and might be ideal for PG's and HG's at the Mynd. Mostly blue with some high cloud but inverted at 3000ft.
Wednesday south or thereabouts and reasonably light winds. just a slim chance for Wrekin SE
rest of the week getting much windier
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 18th May

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 am

Tuesday - today looks a too windy right now, though it might reduce a bit later on. Wednesday is now also looking windier than it had been forecast to be yesterday - still possibly Wrekin SE though not actually ideally on the hill as S to SSW, but it's the only option, and not ideal if windy either.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Thursday now looking nice and thermic with very light westerly winds - it's a complete change from forecasts earlier in the week when it was due to be blown out. At present possibly too light to ridge soar, but may change by tomorrows forecasts.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 am

The cold front is currently passing through, but forecasts tend to agree it will be somewhere between too light to ridge soar the mynd and being just perfect. However what they do sgree on is by teatime the wind will either die off completely or rapidly go south to south east. Inversion or cloudbase due to be 4000ft plus before that happens with a nice lapse rate..
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 am

This was just posted on a Malvern club forum, haven't asked as I guess Mark will be in bed sleeping now, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting on here:

I've just returned home from another 14 hour shift at Worcester royal hospital, in full PPE kit for the whole duration. I had to change out of my uniform and bag it, ready to go into a hot wash as soon as I got home. Long shower, lots of soap. Just because we are allowed out to play, don't think the problem is over. Still a lot of deaths in terrible circumstances, ventilator, no family. I would not share a lift in a car, travel by public transport yet. Take care, keep washing your hands
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.