View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

This weekend forecast

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

This weekend forecast

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 am

Forecasts vary a lot in wind speed for Saturday - from quite light and almost scratchy at the Mynd to Hang Glider only launchable. Direction good for the Mynd though. However our committee are all very worried, especially in the light of serious accidents yesterday from all the people let out to play (fortunately not on our sites). Please keep it that way, if in any doubt about anything, do not launch. If you do launch keep well away from everyone else especially when launching in fact, distance is safety in these circumstances with very few people being currently proficient even for ground handling.

Also please check your kit very, very thoroughly. Yesterday I went to a local field to ground handle and discovered half way through the session part of the speed system on the risers had come apart - I have no idea how that could possibly have happened, but it could have been serious if I'd tried to use it in the air.

Sunday, not sure yet. might still be on for the Mynd stronger and WSW.
Dave Thomas

Re: This weekend forecast

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 am

Sunday, due to be south of west, maybe WSW or worse, and with only the Long Mynd available, that's the only option. However it does look promising for HG's who won't be too bothered by PG's getting in the way of launching for a change. Cloudbase 4500ft mid afternoon, but the lapse rate charts show a rapid reduction later on with a strong inversion setting in quite early at 2000ft so not sure what's causing that. This might impact what I was going to say which is that late evening my work for PG's well - subject to this inversion forecast problem - that I think might cause a venturi affect over the mynd and keep the wind speed high.

Will be good to hear what happens as not seen this change in lapse rates so marked before.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.