View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 16th March

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 16th March

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:37 am

Monday looks good. Very light winds early on in the morning and then gradually increasing during the day and going from West to SW. Predominantly blue skies with the inversion around 3500 - 4000ft. Nice lapse rate chart with no high cloud forecast. Little variation in direction with height which is good (reduced inversion level turbulence) The best air (cumulus clouds) is possibly just to the south of our area a bit but stretching broadly across us. Our options, the Long Mynd, Camlo, maybe Shepherds Tump. Other options, Cowlod, Worcestershire Beacon, Rybury, Merthyr. Peak district too, but I don't know which site to advise for Light WSW wind.

Towards the later part of the week looks possibly good again or even very good for XC - not sure which day yet but roughly either side of Thursday with winds from north sort of direction. Weekend windy yet again.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 16th March

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Winds now seem to be a lot stronger on Monday and going SW earlier on, so Mynd might be blown out and too far off by the afternoon. Our SW facing sites might be a better option.
Dave Thomas

Postby Graeme Baird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:18 pm

The north-facing webcam is stuck - can it be fixed before the morning, please?
Graeme Baird

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 am

Monday, i now think the Mynd will have a high chance of being blown out and too far south by lunchtime or mid afternoon, though should be ok this morning. Not sure about our SW sites as due to be windier earlier in Wales.
Dave Thomas

Re: north web cam

Postby Nick Le Gras » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:02 am

The north facing webcam is now disconnected.
The view will going forward be provided by the new purchased cameras
But only when I have time to purchase and fix (digging holes,concrete etc)a new pole and mount the equipment.
Nick
Nick Le Gras

Re: north web cam

Postby David Broughton » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Nick Le Gras wrote:But only when I have time to purchase and fix (digging holes,concrete etc)a new pole and mount the equipment.

Maybe it would get done quicker if we paid someone to put up a pole (and re-erect the wrecked signboards near the gate)!
David Broughton

Postby Nick Le Gras » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:57 am

I think you will find ,that if our free flying community,is obliged to follow the French advice,then the urgency that you feel is warranted.....will just melt away.
Just foot an
Nick Le Gras

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 am

Due to current situation, I will be suspending my weather updates until further notice as I don't feel that it is in the interests of flying community to be promoting our sport at this moment in time in a way that is visible to the general public online.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.