View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 2nd December

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 2nd December

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:35 am

Monday might be the best of the week, and not that good either. Wales is due to have lightest of all winds being closer to the high pressure centre. Winds are detailed as West and light barely scratchy soarable, however lapse rate charts show the upper winds as being north and a big temperature inversion, so anything could happen with wind direction on hills. Elswhere, peak district might be windy enough to soar, but subject to similar issues.

Tuesday and Wdnesday even less wind, then Thursday onwards going possibly very windy, but too early to say with any reliability.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 2nd December

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:51 am

Hardly any wind on Mynd weather station, yet west and windy at Sarn and at Shawbury - maybe it will come on Mynd later?
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 am

Todays forecast is better than it was before, and there is more wind with less of a variation with height, at least until well above free flying heights available. Direction is due to be SW, though it's WSW at present. Doubt if it will be on the Mynd at all, but Clatter looks good as long as you walk in and don't drive the track.
Dave Thomas

Postby Graeme Baird » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am

19 mph at Clatter - too strong for pg's.
Graeme Baird

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Graeme, thanks for that. Elan Valley blown out too so Jon says. Considering the forecasts were broadly very similar to yesterday, a huge difference in reality.
Dave Thomas

Postby jon tatton » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:44 pm

The Elan did calm down a bit and I ended up having a great flight. Tomorrow looking a wee bit more windy and lower cloud base in Mid Wales, although Clatter could be in better air if it's not too windy and too south.
jon tatton

Postby David Broughton » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

jon tatton wrote:I ended up having a great flight.

Jon, please excuse me for being picky (it's what I do! :) ) but a little more detail would be nice. A "great" flight could be a top to bottom for a newbie or a 300 km XC for a skygod.

This is what I posted on N Wales forum about Llangollen on Sunday -

"About a dozen there - wind picked up after lunch and gave good flying until it started to ease after 3pm. Decent height gains in weakish thermals max about 1000 ft ato. Quite smooth, bit cold. Wind speed on t/o peaked around 16 mph 2 o'clockish."
David Broughton

Postby jon tatton » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 am

Thank you Dave for the advice. However, I thought that this was a posting regarding the weather and whether it is going to flyable in the next couple of days and not a description/account of my flights.
jon tatton

Postby Graeme Baird » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:13 am

Jon, so can you describe your "great" flight?
Graeme Baird

Postby David Broughton » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

Thank you Dave for the advice. However, I thought that this was a posting regarding the weather and whether it is going to flyable in the next couple of days and not a description/account of my flights.

Good point Jon. An issue I have is that posts here are all jumbled up - on N Wales forum posts are split up into different topic headings with one titled "Who is going out & flying blog" and others such as sites/safety/holidays etc etc. I find that format much more user friendly & if any changes are planned here perhaps those involved could consider doing something similar?
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:29 am

Saturday is due to be dry, SW wind but most likely not a very suitable flying day even for HGs. The wind will be top end for PG with a considerable wind gradient. The lapse charts suggest most places could have cloudbase/fog close to ground level. It would be nice to think somewhere will be ok. Wind in Thames valley area are lower but air is marginally even worse than here.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.