View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Weather and Site choice advice - request for support

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Weather and Site choice advice - request for support

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:50 pm

We would like some additional support from suitably experienced pilots to help with updating our weekly forecasts. It's not on any scheduled basis, just as and when you have time and the weather makes it worthwhile posting.

Apparently Geoff and I have been doing the forum weather guidance since May 2013, which is a very long time to have been at it. We are intending on carrying on, as we have over the years received a lot of thanks from pilots who have benefitted from our thoughts. We are not always right, but we've followed up on our own advice afterwards to match against reality, and are probably around 90% right which considering it's only based on multiple weather forecasts, is pretty damned good really. This all started because I used to spend so much time trawling through forecasts in the sometimes (often) vain hope of finding one that gave me the chance to fly, I thought it would be useful to put all that wasted internet trawling to use and share it.

The guidance is based on forecasts and interlaced with real experience of the good and bad days spent on hills and what does and does not work for our sites. All you need is a reasonable understanding of weather in our area, synoptic and lapse rate charts and a good knowledge of flying our sites in all types of conditions. We try to aim our advice as much as possible on ridge soaring opportunities as that's where the majority of pilots are that benefit from guidance, plus we've found its so much harder to predict good ridge soaring days than a good XC day. Roy Dade sometimes helps out when we are unavailable, but we would all prefer extra support. Experience of both HG and PG is useful but not essential.

If you think you might be able to accommodate helping out at times, then please do contact Geoff or I for a chat. Everyone tends to have a different perspective on flying conditions and weather so don't be afraid to think you can add value and help our fellow pilots.
Dave Thomas

Re: Weather and Site choice advice - request for support

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 pm

I am very pleased to report that fellow obsessed pilot Jon Tatton has offered to help with our regular weather advice on the forum. I am especially pleased because Jon will be able to bring to the forum experience of many of our less well used sites and also those of the Mid Wales club as he lives over that way. I have been a member of Mid Wales on and off for many years, but have only ever flown Constitution hill once, so have not been able to advise on those options. Please note that our 'less well used sites' are in fact quite often used, but not by the majority of LMSC only members, so most people don't know what they are missing, apart from the wonderful scenery they can be great sites to ridge soar and sometimes thermal from.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.