View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 14th October

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 14th October

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:05 am

Next week there's a lot of stuff happening, but it does look more promising than the last week has been.

Monday, quite a difference in wind direction between ground and aloft, between SE and backing E the higher you get. wind speeds look launchable and soarable, with the best air in N Wales. If it's properly SE then the Wrekin might be better for soaring than Corndon, otherwise Corndon. If it's more easterly I don't have experience of whether Gyrn Moelfre is suitable? Rain late afternoon or evening is due in.

Tuesday, could be on at the Mynd, but some forecasts shows cloudbase about level with the bottom landing field, others maybe 3000ft!

Then a run of showery weather until the weekend which is looking positive at present.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 14th October

Postby Geoffm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:02 pm

At the moment Wednesday is looking promising on the Mynd. Dry. Relatively light winds. Could be ok for both HG and PG.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:10 pm

And the Mynd was nice today. Good for both PG and HG, though for a time it was a bit windy for PGs. David Mckenzie has posted some photos (mostly of me, which is why I mention it) on the LMSC facebook page.

Thursday and Friday don't look too good, but the weekend has potential. NW/NNW.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Saturday should be soarable on the Mynd, the rain passing through in the morning. Probably ok for both PG and HG.

Sunday is a little strong, northerly. I'm not sure if Long Mountain would work at the moment, might be a little too much east in it.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:47 am

As Geoff has already indicated, It's on the Mynd today, however there is quite a bit of variation in the forecasts, with lapse rate charts indicating not very good conditions at all, yet others saying ok. There might be some rain, but when is not known as forecasts vary between none and some coming through in patches from middle of the day onwards. If it does rain it looks like they will pass relatively quickly and clear again. There might be times when it's a bit windy, but with cloudbase about 3000ft it's worth waiting, with the rain if it comes base might be almost on the hill top. Further west expected to be more prone to rain.

Sunday is forecast to be a higher cloudbase, no rain but more cloud and much more wind from the north or NNE. Sarn or Corndon though even those might be blown out for PG's. Lapse rate charts look much better, more like a proper flying day, though with a wind speed looking ideal for HG's to launch and soar.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Yes, it was flyable at the Mynd today for both HG and PG - though I think there was only one hang glider there. I was pushed for time, so only took my PG. It was a little breezy sometimes on launch, but I think most people flew. In the air it was fine, though later on in the day it started to pick up, and, I think, stopped most people flying.

I think Sunday might be windy for PGs; however, it is north, so Long Mountain will probably be fine.

HGs, probably Llangollen or Sarn. Well, or Long Mountain, but the lack of a bottom landing is an issue for them there.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:24 am

Sunday is due to be a cloudy day, but with too much wind for most or maybe even all PG's. The direction seems to be either North or once the air mixes with the expected thermic activity despite the cloud layer, maybe NNE direction. That will make Long Mountain generally far less pleasant that usual due to the effect of Moel y Golfe in front. Looks an ideal day for HG's at Sarn, so I hope that some go and fly there, it used to be the place to go for HG's. It might be ok for PG's too as it is quite often not windy enough even when perfectly soarable on Long Mountain, I've never really worked out why as the land in front is so open. Another option for those few that like it will be Corndon which often is launchable and soarable in strong winds as the air goes around the hill. Cloudbase is due to be getting up to near 4000ft, but actually reducing as the afternoon goes on.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.