View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Telegram Chat Group

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Telegram Chat Group

Postby Roy Dade » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am

Following some discussion on the Telegram Site Reports Group it has been proposed we set up a chat group and possibly a planning group in parallel for flying discussion.

It would not be for club specific topics but a means for all pilots to chat about flying in the area I.e. to remove chat from the site reports group.

I think with a bit of moderation and the occasional link to new LMSC forum posts awareness can be improved especially for visiting pilots?

Happy to set it up if the Exec are happy?

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Re: Telegram Chat Group

Postby Roy Dade » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Open forum opened linked to the LMSC site report group to remove chatter from site reports. Link posted on the open forum to the LMSC forum to remind members to check for updates, site closures etc. Link to this new open forum posted on the site reports forum.
Roy Dade

Postby Brian Sanders » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:32 pm

I’m not happy in having multiple channels of communication all for the same purpose. Either as a club we have a chat forum on telegram or a forum on the website, but not both. Two channels means the club will not all have the same info. I have left it that the forum is the lowest common denominator that all in the club access. If someone wants to change that, perhaps they should contact me in person in the first instance to discuss it. Happy once they have to get a view from the committee and go from there, perhaps for a vote at the AGM.
Brian Sanders

Postby Roy Dade » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 am

Hi Brian

The purpose of the group is only as a means to remove chat from the site reports group which is open to visiting pilots as well as members. I’ve included a link to the LMSC club forum in a pinned header message which is the official mouthpiece of the club. Any club announcements such as site closures can be notified via a link to the official message.

The key thing is that visiting pilots (non members) have an easy means to communicate between each other, ask questions and pass on any issues at open sites.

Until the committee can discuss it I’ll moderate it to ensure relevant issues are discussed in the right place. LMSC members were complaining that chat was happening in the site reports group resulting in false notifications.

One visiting pilot has already said to me he didn’t know there’s a club forum where site updates are posted?

I was aware of sensitivities but there was pressure to fix the problem.

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby marcus tett » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Does anyone have some recent stats on how often the fourm is used versus how often the Telegram groups are used. It would make sense to use the media system that has the most users and review annually as we move with the times..
Cheers Marcus
marcus tett

Postby Geoffm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

I think the two things are different, but complementary.

The forum - and the web site - are for information which is long lasting, and which needs to be referred back to, or for a thread running over a period of time. For example, sticky posts on the forum about temporary site closures. Or the weather forecasts, runnng over a week. Threading is far better on the forum. Posts don't get lost as they scroll up the screen. Topics aren't mixed in with a bunch of other topics.

Facebook and Telegram are far, far better for quick, chatty stuff, where post notifications are pushed out to your devices. But the information is much more transitory. So, for example, Telegram is great for saying if a site is flyable at the moment. It is crap for explaining what the current site rules are.

There are far more members of the FB group, than people looking at this forum. But this forum, and the web site, are the only location for definitive information - because it lasts here, and doesn't disappear quickly.

Personally, if there was something important - like the bottom landing closure - I would post the full info here, but also post a link to here on FB and Telegram. Not post the actual information twice, just a link to the one definitive source. It is unrealistic nowadays to expect people to come to the forum to check out things (even though you can get notification of new posts on the forum by subscribing). As a club, we have to be aware of how our members communicate, and use those methods of communication, whilst at the same time retaining the integrity of the information by having the one definitive source.

Incidentally, only LMSC members can post to the forum (though anyone can read it). That was a decision I took when I set it up back in 2013. In retrospect, I think I made a mistake. However, the FB group, and Telegram, are - rightly - open to anyone, members or not.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm

An illustration of the reasoning behind what I said in the penultimate paragraph of my previous post is Kevin's update posted here yesterday on the Mynd bottom landing. Something of great interest to all pilots who fly here, whether a club member or not. But only 38 views at the moment. At least five of which will be mine....
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.