View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 23rd September

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 23rd September

Postby Geoffm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Crap.

But if you want more detail, it's windy or wet, or both.

There is a very slim possibility it might be ok for hang gliders on the Mynd on Wednesday.

But really, this would have been a great week to book your wing in for a service. Or a holiday in Algodonales, which is looking pretty good. Or just go to the pub and get pissed every night. It won't be a problem for flying the next day.

At least you don't need to skive off work.

It could change I suppose..... we'll keep an eye on it.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 23rd September

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:29 am

Wednesday, the wind has already veered rapidly to the west and it will dry out and clear, but there still is likely the odd shower. There seems to be a split in the weather, where the mynd and west of it is due to be a fairly brisk westerly wind, possibly largely blown out for PGs but nice for HGs to have clear space to launch and soar. Cheshire basin looks to have a lighter but more NW wind but with a much lower cloudbase.
So i think the options are the long Mynd, or alternatively Lawley or maybe even the Wrekin. Can't think of anywhere else further afield as where the air is better further south its supposed to be a lot stronger winds. Poor air in the eye of the low pressure in Peak district.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 am

Yes, it is lighter today - at the moment - than I expected when I did the initial forecast on Wednesday, and you can see a PG flying on the webcam. Still cloudy, though it should clear for a while, before getting cloudy again. I think the winds will pick up as the day goes on, but possibly will be OK for PGs much of the day. And for hangies too later as it picks up. Not a stunning day, but better than I thought at the start of the week. At least, at the moment, it is flyable.

Rest of the week still windy.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Wrekin is also being flown at this moment, so presume it must be more NW there as suggested earlier.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.