View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Long Mynd site maintenance

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Long Mynd site maintenance

Postby David Broughton » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:09 am

So - the signboard has been down for months, the backing of the whiteboard is rotten, the gate is collapsing & there are rotting fence posts. With the increased membership fees there must be plenty of cash in the kitty. Can someone not get a contractor to carry out some repairs? :roll:
David Broughton

Re: Long Mynd site maintenance

Postby Brian Sanders » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for your comments Dave, the committee are aware of the issues and have been working on them unpaid for sometime, including replacing the sign and fence post. Look forward to a further update in the near future when the work has completed. In the meantime if you have any concerns at a site may I remind you your first port of call should be to contact the site officer, his email is listed on this website. If you wish to volunteer to help, please don’t hesitate to contact the committee.
Brian Sanders

Postby Geoffm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Dave, of course, has previously been chair of the LMSC, and volunteered plenty in the past for the club. The club should encourage suggestions from members.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby David Broughton » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks guys,

Happy to know that some action is in progress to deal with the necessary repairs. :)
David Broughton

Postby Howard Holt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

Hi
With the bottom landing restrictions and possible loss, is it worth considering improving the slope landing possibilities by removing the lone tree at the front of the Mynd. I often feel this tree is just in the wrong place and sometimes forces pilots to land much further down the hill or need to take avoiding action close to the hill. I feel it would be a welcome enhancement for many pilots and will make the site safer in scratchy conditions. We could always replant a new similar tree in a more compatible place for slope landing.
Howard Holt

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 am

Dave good point and certainly worth the committee discussing the subject of slope landing. My personal thoughts on the tree is that it reminds you just how far down you've gone while scratching and where the rocks and really steep part of the slope start. I think the bracken is far more of a pain and trying to slope land and avoid the worst of those is more of a risk to a safe landing. I will propose that the next meeting discusses the whole subject in depth.

I may well be wrong but I think the tree is not actually on our land - that starts higher up where some slabs mark the lower boundary probably totally overgrown now. I laid the series of slabs on top of the hill to mark out the rigging areas but that was a long time after the initial site purchase and first few slabs put in. I did the extra slabs due to a number of safety related incidents.
Dave Thomas

Postby Nick Le Gras » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:17 am

Dave

I'm very sure the tree is not on our property
we will need to find those paving slabs that mark our boundary ..and sooner rather than later

I'm reasonably sure the new landowner of both the bottom landing field and the sloping extension of our own field is going to be the National Trust .

they have already been tramping our field ..viewing all

there is then a distinct possibility they will want to put a fence up !

we clearly need , when the sale is confirmed to get them round a table urgently to discuss their intentions, and our nice to have's
Nick Le Gras

Postby David Broughton » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm

"I often feel this tree is just in the wrong place"

It seems to be in a great place to hide people taking a dump!
David Broughton

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.