View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 26th August

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 26th August

Postby Geoffm » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:17 pm

A mixed week ahead, with temperatures droppping a little from the record breaking ones of the bank holiday. The forecasts are a bit contradictory too, so apologies for the extreme vagueness of the advice. It should get clearer later.

Monday: light winds, basically S or SSW. Normally I'd say go somewhere other than our sites - i.e. Rushup in the Peaks - but it is bank holiday Monday, so driving will be a pain. Maybe just enjoy the hot weather.

Tuesday: I'm seeing different forecasts for direction, but probably it will be SW, so Clatter. But there is a risk of thunderstorms.

Wednesday: anywhere between south and WNW. And again, a risk of storms.

Thursday: a bit windier, WSW or NW. So possibly on the Mynd, if so should be fine for the hangies. Maybe top end for PGs. Dry.

Friday: SW-W. Quite strong. Could come on the Mynd for PGs in the evening.

Weekend: I don't really know. Again, very different forecasts.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 26th August

Postby Geoffm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Tuesday is still giving slightly different directions, but mostly some componebt of west, so it's likely to be on the Mynd. But there is a significant chance of thunderstorms. And very light winds.

Wednesday: SSW going WSW, but it's likely to be wet - probably showers rather than continuous rain, but not great. Front coming through today.

Thursday: WSW, stronger winds, dry. So long as there isn't too much south in it the Mynd could be ok. Camlo is probably a safer bet for the wind direction.

Friday: winds still picking up, SW, cloudy. Probably blown out.

Saturday: WNW, good for hangies on the Mynd, probably too strong for PGs during the day.

Sunday: again west, a bit lighter, so certainly HGs on the Mynd, maybe PGs.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:54 am

Thursday I think is more SW now, and pretty windy. It would be Clatter, but far too windy for PGs. Mayne HGs could fly there, but I'm not convinced of that either.

It stays SW and windy on Friday, coming round to the west and windy on Saturday, but slowly dropping, so it could be hang gidable at some point, and maybe even PGable late on, on the Mynd.

Sunday is west all day, but windy again. Maybe HGs at the moment.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:34 pm

The weekend is much as I said yesterday. On Saturday, the front goes through in the morning, switching the wind from south to west. Showers will die out as the front passes. Hang glidable on the Mynd in the afternoon, maybe PGs later, depending on how fast the wind drops.

Sunday west all day. Should be opportunities for both HG and PG on the Mynd, though again, breezy, so possibly top end much of the day for PGs.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Be careful going through the gate to the mynd. The post is almost totally snapped off.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Yes, Saturday evening was hang glidable on the Mynd, though no-one was there. Sunday was flyable for HGs some of the day though the middle was very windy, and very rough, and for a period none flew. But before and after was ok. No PGs flew unless it was quite late, after I left.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.