View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 5th August

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 5th August

Postby Geoffm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Mostly, this coming week is windy, with some showers, especially later in the week, possibly heavy, though the worst tend to be further north. This is caused by a succession of low pressure systems going through. Friday/Saturday is particularly windy on some forecasts. Winds are generally W/SW.

For paragliders, the week is pretty much a write-off. Maybe Thursday, when there's a brief gap between the low pressure systems.

For hang gliders, maybe Wednesday/Thursday on the Mynd.

As always with successive low pressure systems, much depends on the timing, the speed they approach and pass through.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 5th August

Postby Roy Dade » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Going back to Geoff’s comments on Weds winds are SW veering WNW with cloudbase about 2700ft however surface winds are currently forecast to be 20kts.

Thursday we appear to be getting a lull as we sit between low pressure systems with light WSW winds in the morning backing to SE through the afternoon as the next low approaches. At this stage the afternoon looks better. Cloudbase could be at 4000ft late on so maybe some afternoon XCs.

Then it all goes pear shaped again for the weekend.

Looking further out BBC weather suggesting the second half of August could be a bit better, not hard let’s face it!
Roy Dade

Postby Geoffm » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:36 pm

As we suggester earlier in the week, it was hang glidable at the Mynd on Wednesday. A real shame there weren't more there.

Thursday is still much as Roy said yesterday, WSW backing SE. Light winds. Thermic. Locally, in the afternoon, Corndon, Wrekin (assuming direction does change at the times forecast). Peaks should be ok, as is further south too, e.g. Milk Hill.

Friday/Saturday very strong winds. And rain. Forget it.

Sunday, maybe again hang gliders on the Mynd.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:19 pm

A bit more detail for Thursday, I think the mynd might appear to be suitable first thing as there is forecast to be a kink in the wind direction around here bringing it temporarily more West, but likely to rapidly not be the right place quite early on. The winds are due to go south very quickly. Thermically should be good and does get better after the change in direction. Not very ridge soarable around here, just a bit too light, maybe the gyrn later on best bet but its not as thermic up into north wales and still light winds. Camlo might be an option to go early, and when the wind goes sse still a flyable site. Wrekin from early afternoon. I think corndon has to be just right to make the south side any good, and that's likely to be only at a particular moment in time tomorrow if at all.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Camlo wasn't working yesterday, but Corndon was, and I think people flew the Wrekin too. For the rest of the week, when I checked the forecast last night it looked like the Mynd would be ok on Sunday evening, at least for hang gliders, if not PG. Now I'm not so sure. But certainly worth keeping an eye on.

There've been power cuts here today, knocking out the MGC, including, of course, the weather station - lightning. Seems to be back to normal now.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm

My mistake, the power cut I mentioned yesterday covered large areas of the country, and wasn't related to the lightning which was happening here at roughly the same time.

Anyway, maybe hard to believe given that it is currently gusting to 42 knots, pissing down with rain, and minor flooding on the roads locally, but it does look like Sunday afternoon/evening will be flyable for hang gliders on the Mynd, with a slight chance it may be ok for PGs late. As always, keep an eye on the cams, the wind should be trending downwards throughout the day.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Yes, hang gliders flying now on the Mynd.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.