View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 1st July

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 1st July

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Tomorrow, Monday, is still very windy, but the rest of the week, the winds are much lighter. Most days should be flyable.

Monday: starting off west and windy, going NNW later on in the day. In fact, it could well be flyable at Long Mountain when it does go NNW.

Tuesday: NNW/N. Light. Sarn could work, or Llangollen, for both PG and HG.

Wednesday: NNE/NE. Again lightish. Wil be on at Corndon, but soaring might be difficult. A case of find the thermal. Hay Bluff if you want to drive a bit, or Mam Tor in the Peaks.

Thursday: probably on the Mynd, light westerlies.

Friday: round here near enough nil wind. Go somewhere higher. Snowdonia, or the Peaks, where it could be a really good XC day.

Weekend: still light round here at the moment.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 1st July

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Mynd Monday evening - the wind is dropping steadily now so may be flyable later, it's cloudy but no rain on the radar view so looks ok.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Spoke to soon as the wind has gone NW and increased again.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:47 am

Tuesday - the windsock webcam pic doesn't seem to be updating even though the timestamp is :roll:
David Broughton

Postby Geoffm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks Dave. I'm not nearby at the moment. I'll try a remote reboot and if that doesn't work, I'll get it switched on and off by whoever is in the office shortly. I have told someone to install a UPS which will help with htis type of issue (the electricity supply is very flaky at the MGC), though I'm not certain if that has been done yet.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am

Tuesday had a number of North Wales club pilots flying at Long Mountain after Llangollen was blown out, cloudbase about 5000ft. Lawley soarable with a number of pilots going XC with conditions better downwind.

Wednesday, it's fairly breezy at present but is due to be pretty light, going from NNW to NNE. For us Corndon is the obvious choice for XC pilots and Sarn much less so as it needs a decent breeze. Elsewhere, Peak district could be good for soaring, or 100 house & Blorenge also.

Thursday, iffy at present on direction, quite possibly westerly but light in whatever direction it ends up being.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Thursday looks promising for thermalling but at present depending entirely on which forecast you look at looks like not being soarable - unless the only one I've seen with wind is right of course then it will be just right. wind somewhere broadly westerly, with a bit more in the far west cambrians area. So I think Llandinam just might be ok if it's NW rather than west. Mynd might come on later in the day, but not confident on that.

Friday - possibly like Thursday, but if you go XC even just a hop behind the Mynd, beware of termpory class D airspace in the afternoon right behind Church stretton and running down to the Cotswolds - check it out if possibly relevant to you
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:24 am

Thursday, BBC still says enough wind to ridge soar in our area, but RASP says not. Wind is due to veer just a tiny bit between WSW and W, which could make all the difference for ability to soar on our sites. The wind looks like it kinks about a bit across Wales, so I'm still thinking Llandinam might be better than the Mynd, certainly earlier on in the day but depends on the exact direction. Mid Wales club members may prefer to try Elan Valley as maybe more suited to the possible directions. Just to the south of there and heading towards our area RASP indicates a negative convergence area with lots of completely dead descending areas that head towards Birmingham direction, then a bit further south again that is clear but no wind forecast down there. Pilots will be at the Malverns for triangle cross country attempts I'm sure, if you like no wind launching. Cloudbase is due to be better further into Wales, but likely to be impacted at launch heights by the sea breeze coming through the Cambrian valleys.

More wind in the Peak district in W - WNW direction so much more suited to ridge soaring though the thermalling and XC quality not as good though I don't understand why.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Well on Thursday the BBC was far more accurate about the wind than RASP, in fact I think it was windier than even BBC suggested. Some PG flying and XC's were done from our sites at Llandinam and the Long Mynd, and the Malverns as well as one or two other locations. HG's flew at the Mynd while it was too windy for PG's.

Friday looks like being a bit of a repeat maybe more westerly though throughout the day, but the wind should be lighter in the morning, so best for PG's to get there early I think.

Oh and I said this morning I didn't understand why the thermalling wasn't due to be so good towards the peak district, but the sky looked pretty rubbish in that direction with layers of medium to high level cloud, so RASP was right about that.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 am

Friday was a good day on the Mynd. Winds strong at times for PGs (after being light in the morning), though some were flying. Later it dropped a little and everyone flew in thermic, but not rough, conditions. It was also hang glidable, but there were no HGs there. Actually, there were surprisingly few PGs too.

Saturday is cloudy all day, but rain is unlikely. Starting off west, it soon goes north, or NNW. It should be soarable on the usual sites. Sarn, Llangollen. Not a particularly nice day though, with the cloud, though it might clear later.

Sunday: very light winds. Basically northerly. Llangollen probably the best option in the light winds.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm

So much for me saying no rain. It's raining now.....
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Saturday - the rain has all but passed through now and the Mynd is showing approximately suitable winds for some ridge soaring.

Sunday has a rather confusing set of winds across the country, despite the fact that the front will have passed through well before then (like about now). So in North Wales it's due to be a light NW with thermic conditions - As Geoff suggested Llangollen is promising, but so will Llandinam if it's fairly light. Whether it will be on at the Mynd I'm not sure yet. However in South Wales either no wind or SE and easterly in England, so if the forecasts change a little in positioning things could be better elsewhere, but at this moment N Wales is the place to be within striking distance of our area.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:41 pm

People flew today at Llandinam, the Lawley and the Wrekin, all our sites. Plus some LMSC members were at Llangollen, with Steve Watts doing 56 km from there. Winds were, I think, very, very light, so it was a question of launching into thermals.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.