View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 10th June

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 10th June

Postby Geoffm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Don't you just love the UK in summer.

Monday: shit.

Tuesday: really shit.

Wednesday: still pretty shit.

Thursday: a bit less shit.

Friday: what can I say? First day of the British Open Series hang gliding comp. So, as you would expect.... Actually, to be wildly and unrealistically optimistic, there is a slim chance they might get to fly at Clatter in the SW.

Weekend: SW, a bit shit, and windy.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 10th June

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:01 am

Monday morning ok in a light north wind, very thermic before the front arrives from the east, rather unusually. Go as far west as you can.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 am

I was right about yesterday with really nice conditions in Wales for quite a while. People flew at Sarn in ridge lift and thermals with cloudbase about 4000ft, also down in South Wales at a couple of sites. There isn't much chance this week due to either wind or rain or both. However being optimistic, Wednesday just might show a gap, but more likely drier in the Peak district than here. Weekend is a big maybe at present.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 am

Yes, Dave was absolutely right about Monday, and I was unduly pessimistic. The rain did come, but later than I had expected when I did the forecast on Sunday. However, the rest of the week, my well chosen description of the weather has been spot on. Not that it takes much knowledge at all to do the forecasts when the weather is this bad. A bit like forecasting hot and sunny in the Sahara.

I did say there was a very slim chance Friday might be doable for the BOS hang gliding comp at Clatter. Looks like that is out now, with cloud and rain much of the day. Saturday is less rain, but windy. For the BOS diehards, a chance at Clatter later on, but on the current forecast, unlikely to be taskable. Sunday is drier (though still some rain at times), SW, but windy. Too windy for PGs, probably top end for HGs. But not at this point a complete write-off.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Thursday - perfect wind speed and direction, dry on the Mynd, but visibility looks about 100 yards - so maybe not that safe.

Friday, Forecasts differ, but I actually think there may be a chance for BOS comp HG's, plus PG's to fly, even if not best suited to a competition task. Especially in the west, the wind could be anywhere between SW and WNW but clearing in the afternoon, not particularly strong, so Llandinam might be a good bet as it's to the west, if they can't fly the Mid Wales sites for any reason (Elan Valley or Cemmaes). Things are so volatile at present that could be wrong in a few hours time though.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm

BOS comp have gone to Clatter and just started flying - webcam shows it well, but the sky looked a lot better before they got there after a late re-briefing for a site choice.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 pm

BOS - most went XC Friday - yes even with this weather.

Tomorrow, looks a lot better again, but best in the west and with a SW forecast not many suitable HG sites - might be a bit windy for PG's but there's a chance late on for PG's. On the mid wales coast there wind may go West but it might possibly be sea breeze so not sure about that. however for HG sites, I'd say try to go as far west and south as they can, for our sites, shepherds tump, Clatter or Camlo. If the west wind does come them Mid Wales site Cemmaes - and that might be ok for PG's maybe, though I've never actually flown it just looked up from the bottom.

Nearer our area, the Mynd area is due to be pretty rainy until late on, but it just might be useable when it does dry out, but never likely to be actually on the hill properly. Shepherds Tump, My experience is that it gets blown out for PG easily, it's not as forgiving for high winds as Mynd or Clatter, with a very steep face and a flat top.

Check again in the morning for a better update.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 am

Saturday as suggested last night, however, as the mid Wales wind veers a little towards west it looks like the air is going to go naff with low cloud and a bit of drizzly rain coming in - mid afternoon. This looks like being a localised thing from around Aberystwyth, but I can't see any reason for it from Synoptic charts. Does look blown out for most PG's most of the time anyway. Other than that, quite nice conditions for HG's in the competition or free flying today - but timing is critical and of a short duration.

It's pretty awful at this moment but it will change rapidly this morning.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.