View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 27th May

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 27th May

Postby Geoffm » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 pm

A fairly mixed week, and not as good as last week.

Monday: west, but windy with a slight chance of showers. Certainly too windy for PGs, quite possibly for HGs too.

Tuesday: NNW, dry, thermic, lighter than Monday, but still windy. Long Mountain is the most likely place at the moment.

Wednesday: we seem to be on the edge of the front, and it's not clear at the moment whether or not it will rain, and what the wind direction will be.

Thursday: the front has arrived, and it''s strong westerlies with rain.

Friday: again, wind direction forecasts differ. My best guess is W or WSW, flyable wind speeds, no rain. (Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part).

Weekend: probably flyable on the Mynd on Saturday, southery on Sunday.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 27th May

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am

Tuesday has a small but maybe significant variation in wind direction forecasts. Some suggest WNW but probably too strong for pg on the Mynd. Others have NW and ideal for long mountain, if its west of proper NW the long mountain tends not to work very well on the ridge. The wind is due to reduce late on I the fay so the mynd might be ok then.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 am

The rest of the week is now looking rubbish at the moment. So much for my misplaced optimism on Sunday. Rain today, but forecasts are fairy consistently giving it too windy on the other days, albeit dry.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 am

Saturday looks like being a nice day with good air in Wales, but very probably blown out around here. Wind roughly south or SSW. Only viable option in our area for PG's to soar might be Camlo, though that could be ideal for HG's.

Elsewhere, Peak district looks to have slightly lighter winds and also good air.

Sunday looks blown out everywhere and rain around here too.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.