View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

north south cup status

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

north south cup status

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat May 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Its based at Keswick. Task 1 today was clough head to Skipton nearly 100k over the lake district and Yorkshire dales. Big clouds. Cant put into words how epic it was. Hopefully a local triangle tomorrow.
Dave Thomas

Re: north south cup status

Postby Geoffm » Sun May 12, 2019 7:56 am

And well done Dave for what I think was the longest distance yesterday at the N-S Cup.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Final result. The north won 3 nil. The had won the pre event xc leagues scoring, they won the Saturday goal flight to Skipton and won the triangle day on Sunday.

Sunday had a declared task of the three biggest peaks in the lakes, of which a few managed it, something only very rarely achieved.

Saturday also resulted in a very rare event which is the transition out of the lakes, this time seeing a mass breakout by many pilots. The reason its difficult is due to sea breeze cutting in behind the lakes.

To correct Geoff, I didn't do the longest Saturday flight, I was forced to land down wind of goal by a few hundred metres after being trapped by the gust front from a collapsing cloud. There were 4 in goal. I didn't see any but there were reports of funnel clouds, snow, rain and hail, it was a very dramatic sky.

Both Steve watts and Nigel Brevitt did well by closing triangle flights, though not quite the big one, I wad zapped by the sea breeze close to home.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 am

I'm glad I never saw this at the time, though pretty sure it was a big cloud that I avoided close to Skipton which helped push me downwind of goal avoiding it. It was photographed shortly after I'd landed by someone just to the north near Grassington.

Grassington_funnelCloud.jpg
funnel cloud

Sunday - a much nicer sky, but many pilots said afterwards it was very strong and had minor collapsing incidents and the like.

WP_20190512_11_09_02_Pro.jpg
Steve on Jenkin Hill launch
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.