View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week Beginning Monday 22nd April

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week Beginning Monday 22nd April

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Bank holiday Monday should see a moderate to fresh SE wind, becoming thermic in the afternoon, but unlike the last few days, there is the chance of large towering cumulus or cu-nims developing in the afternoon. Might be a bit windy for the Malverns, but Corndon should be ok, though not a great direction at all for soaring it. Wrekin or Gyrn looks a better bet.

Tuesday has the wind being more Easterly, and an even greater chance of those too big clouds especially in south Wales, which for anyone contemplating long XC's from anywhere, the malverns may not be as good a choice as Corndon or PenyC.

Then it goes naff, and the weekend has widely differing forecasts, could be great or awful.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week Beginning Monday 22nd April

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 am

Tuesday, I'm not entirely sure about for two reasons, wind speed and cunims.
However with any luck corndon might work and miss the big clouds completely. Malvrrns ok for hg to soar and maybe pg but a much higher chance of big clouds. Penyc has less thermic activity and maybe the best safe ridg soaring but its big and coukd be blown out. Pandy is nearest the highest chance of cunims.
Its th last chance for the next few daysj
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Tuesday was rubbish pretty well everywhere, I think Corndon was one of the few places actually soarable and thermic, but still rubbish!.

Sunday, it all depends where and when the Saturday storm passes through, but just possibly our area might be the best place in the country with good NW conditions.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:13 am

Sunday. Assuming forecasts are accurate, and at present looks quite likely, the further west you go the better, winds are lighter, the weather gets better earlier. direction looks like being NW to NNW. For thermalling I'd say 100 house looks like being in a good place, though our NW sites may be nicely suited to ridge soaring, if it's windy when you get there it is due to reduce steadily during the day and back towards the north.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:08 pm

I did see some people flying the Mynd in the morning, but I think it went too far off to the north. Certainly people had good flights at the Lawley according to the Telegram group.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.