View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 21st January

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 21st January

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:01 pm

There's a slim chance on Monday with gentle SW winds, but cloudbase probably too low, Tuesday sees a rapidly increasing westerly with chance of sleet/snow. At this moment, though cold, Wednesday and Thursday look like being flyable, maybe NW winds.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 21st January

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Webcams suggest Clatter would have been ok briefly this morning, but no evidence of anyone there, too windy now I think. Wednesday/Thursday has differing forecasts at present between nicely NW all good here and rubbish, with further east of us still in good air - direction broadly westerly.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Wednesday looks a possible, with winds varying a lot around here, and some kind of front nearby I think but nothing showing on metoffice Synoptic. Anyway, could be between WNW and N and light to moderate with a base anything between 500ft and 3000ft, so yet another day to look out the window first for a check on reality. If it looks promising, get out and get ready for spring it's not far away and you need to be ready and able.

Might not be able to do much in the way of reports in the near future, so may be sporadic (work and family health issues to occupy me).
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 am

It's looking NNW now, with winds pickinp up a little later on. Depending how much north is in it maybe Long Mountain. Possibly Sarn too. No idea how the roads are though. Probably icy.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm

It was supposed to go westerly early evening, but all our weather stations are giving it westerly now, and lighter than originally forecast. Someone is flying at the moment at the Lawley, but really, the Mynd is probably the place to be. If the road is ok.

So much for my crap forecast earlier. Sorry!
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Graeme Baird » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

And yet it was 25 mph at the Wrekin!
Graeme Baird

Postby Geoffm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 pm

The Wrekin is always windy though isn't it.

Leavesley Aviation seemed to have had a good day at Lan Fawr yesterday - I always forget to give that as an option. Great flying on NW Mam in the Peaks too.

Looks on at the Mynd at the moment, though it seems like there is low cloud. Winds increasing from tomorrow, blown out - though just maybe ok for hangies on the Mynd tomorrow, though probably low cloud, maybe showers.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Graeme Baird » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Had some lovely flying at the Mynd this afternoon on my new Iota 2. 200ft ATO at best, but incredibly smooth - just like a coastal site!
Graeme Baird

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.