View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 14th January

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 14th January

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 am

Monday, direction is waving between WSW and NW, but probably too strong for PG's on the Mynd, though should be ok for HG. Cloudbase this afternoon at most 1000ft above the mynd, but no risk of it being clagged in like recently, following the cold front to clear the air. Worth checking the webcams and weather station in case it's not as windy as some forecasts - rasp is more promising than most in that respect.

Elsewhere, the peaks has much lower winds, but is forecast to be under a line of warm/cold front thing, not quite sure what to call it, it's not marked as an occluded front. Therefore with such close proximity to it and rasp saying very low cloudbase, I'd rather not say anything about the weather there.
Further south, it's still fairly windy, so sites with easy safe launches are an issue, maybe Frocester/Selsley, but again could still be a bit strong for PG's.

Tuesday, probably more WSW direction but still a bit windy, then during the week further cold front and colder with better air hopefully.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 14th January

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 am

Tuesday I think it's going to be a bit too windy and gusty, maybe HG's at Clatter.

Thursday looks at this moment on for Long Mountain, as windy as today, but that hill needs a good wind and generally turbulence free in the forecast NW wind direction.

Weekend it's going easterly, but cloudy and some forecasts say rain/snow, so cloudbase might not be good.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

Forecasts this week so far have been pretty close to the actuals each day, so Thursday I'm still hopefull for long mountain, sfternoon only as the winds die down.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

Well, on the one hand, the far west of wales looks like being very thermc with cloudbase 4500ft just for the middle of the day, but far too windy. It is due to calm down so rasp says about 3pm in our area, but we are on the edge of that really good air. Other forecasts say windy until its dark and then slows down. Direction nnw until the winds drop right down in the night. Long mountain still my best bet.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 am

The weekend forecasts vary massively, so it's difficult to say whether any that show it might be flyable are going to be correct. They vary from being raining and too windy on Saturday to being slightly sunny and gentle SE winds, and on Sunday from being gentle NW or N winds but clagged in to being light and variable but dry.

Yesterday, a number of people did fly Long Mountain in lovely dry clear conditions, though I think it was just basically ridge soaring.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.