View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 24th December

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 24th December

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Looks quite pleasant outside today (Monday), but winds quite light, there's a chance Corndon might be soarable, but the direction is veering round to SE which is not great at all. Whether it will come on to Gyrn, the forecast says it might. Malverns at present on weather station are too light to soar.
I think there's chances most days to find somewhere to launch as the winds are fairly light, Thursday looks the most promising, westerly moderate speeds and clear skies though a low level inversion.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 24th December

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:49 am

Well the wind is due to continue to head to being a general westerly direction and stay that way for many days in our area, but all lapse rate charts show it being pretty well clagged in for the best part of the whole week. I have looked at the coastal flying option, but the wind seems to stick stubbornly from the south in the Irish sea, restricting potential launch locations. Rasp does show a possible kink in the sea air direction on Friday, so it could just go westerly. I'm still not sure about how clear the air will be over the coast though, as it's very warm moist air with a considerable general rise in temperature with height, and this state seems to prevail into next year as well.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 am

Friday, today has a bit of an odd situation with the forecasts and I'm cautiously optimistic. Lapse rate charts say clagged in all day, but also that it will be sunny on the ground around here with the winds swinging round to the west and stronger than most other places, just around our area. So you can't really have it clagged in with fog and sunny very easily. The webcams show it nicely clear, so Long Mynd, Camlo, possibly Shepherds Tump look worth a go. Don't expect any thermals - it gets warmer as you go up.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:15 am

Just a reminder - no flying down at Black knoll today due to peasant shooting - it could be you!
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.