View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 10th December

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 10th December

Postby Geoffm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Amazingly, it looks like Monday at least will be flyable, maybe more days. Certainly potentially a far better week than it has been for some time.

Monday: On the Mynd, should be ok for PGs and HGs. No rain forecast, W or WNW.

Tuesday: probably flyable, though readings are a little inconsistent at the moment. Southerly, probably SSE. Maybe the Gyrn or Rushup in the Peaks.

Wednesday: still lightish winds, but the direction is tricky. Starting off westerly, they are going SE, so the timing is, obviously, important as to the actual site. It will become clearer nearer the time.

Thursday onwards: the forecasts really differ from now on, as to wind strength, some saying it will easily be flyable even for PGs, others saying totally blown out. So no forecast from me at the moment, we'll leave it till later in the week.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 10th December

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 am

Today, Monday still looks like being on at the Long Mynd, for a while at least. The wind is due to be quite gusty until late in the day, but by then it will have backed and decreased probably to a level that will make it difficult to ridge soar. Also when cloud appears it won't be much above the hill height, though I think should always be above the ground level. There is a forecast line of convergence just to the east of the Mynd, currently showing showers down from north wales towards the midlands running NW -> SE and that is due to remain and only slowly move east. As long as that does not spread and encroach the Mynd we should be ok. Going further west to clear that - the wind drops and gets very cloudy earlier so that's maybe no benefit. Our weather stations are not showing it as windy as it's currently supposed to be, so apart from the forecast gustiness I don't think it will be blown out, but for HG's better to be there earlier. My guess is, there will be a period of a couple of hours at least with nicely ridge soarable conditions, sometime late morning early afternoon or thereabouts.

Elsewhere, looks like the peaks may be impacted by this convergence showery line, especially the western side of the peaks, east may miss it. Down south, Frocester, Merthyr, Garway, might be good options that remain in the sunny area longer.

Tuesday, Just maybe Wrekin SE might be on, then the next few days look windy or damp.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

The wind speed & direction indicators at the Mynd seem to flat-lining at the moment - problem?
David Broughton

Postby Geoffm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

They seem to be ok now, but I'll keep an eye on them. I'll be up later anyway.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:38 am

Friday - I think it will be blown out here, a big wind gradient in a SE wind and with a generally inverted airmass. Into south east England the wind due to be much lighter and more easterly, but the issue of sites is more of a problem. Malverns I think will be fine for HG's, and just maybe for PG's. Pandy often copes with wind better than the Malverns, but it's further into the windier Wales.Thames Valley club have Tan, which could well be ok, but it's a very small site.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:43 pm

So far the weather reports seem to show lighter winds than forecast, but I think that's mostly due to the inversion and windier above. Still, it looks sunny in our flying area - Midlands is still cloudy.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Sunday, Should have looked earlier, I'd thought it was going to be windy and rainy from lunchtime so hadn't checked this morning. It is windy in Wales by the look of the webcams/weather stations, but maybe Wrekin might be still suitable this afternoon - the rain is not due to arrive until after dark now.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.