View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday 12th November

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday 12th November

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 am

At present the forecast is for it to stay mild and pretty windy until at least Thursday, staying mild but winds reducing and heading into a more SE direction, instead of SW. Whether there will be any flyable slots before then, I'm not sure, more likely for HG's from Clatter or Camlo I would think. I'd say there's at least some chance for HG's though, but less likely for PG's mostly due to the strong wind gradient being forecast - might appear launchable but strong winds aloft. Anything looking better than 50% chance and I'll be on it to report to you the options.
Dave Thomas

Re: Week beginning Monday 12th November

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 am

Tuesday, I woke up this morning and thought it looked good, but not over on our SW sites by the look of it, already far too windy. However, some forecasts indicate it should be borderline blown out for PG and a decent cloudbase for time of year. Also RASP has some odd kinks in the wind direction (South to SSW rather than South) and speed, so if lucky they might coincide with Camlo or Clatter. more of a possibility for HG's than PG's though.
Tomorrow looks windier then Thursday and Friday look clagged in as well as probably too windy. Weekend not much better either.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am

Today looks like the best day this week and I can't see anywhere round here to fly, because of the low inversion and strong winds above it. Direction should be south pretty well all day. I did have some thoughts about travelling but decided it's not worth the risk of a wasted journey or too dodgy to fly.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:38 am

Weekend now looking more promising, with winds a bit lighter on Saturday but more chance of low cloud lingering. Ideal for HG's at the Malverns but might be a bit strong there for PG's. It's often been blown out at Kettle Sings, but launching at Pandy has been fine (south east wales members only). As it is due to be approximately east, Corndon for us has a pretty reasonable chance of it being soarable for PG's.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 am

The mist and murk are due to clear, but the inversion stays low and wind speeds well above 20knots above it, so I'm rather dubious about any flying today, ideally somewhere really low, but the Malverns will catch the full wind with nothing in front. If anything I think Pandy or Corndon may offer some limited hope, and they are not spine back ridges either so a bit safer to launch from.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.