View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 29th October

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 29th October

Postby Geoffm » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Sadly (and pointlessly) the clocks have changed.... incidentally, I'm aware the time stamps on the static web cams are now a bit confusing, still saying BST, and the sun rise and sunset times are an hour out. I'm in the process of getting that fixed.

Next week, there might be the odd flyable day.

Monday: NE. I think there is a reasonable chance Corndon will work. Malverns, Pandy, also an option.

Tuesday: NNW going west - after sunset! Probably wet, possibly too windy. Maybe Lan Fawr, but not a great day.

Wednesday: SSW/S. A lousy direction round here. Probably too windy in the Peaks. Maybe the Gyrn, if the direction shifts a bit and it's not too windy.

Thursday: westerly. Could actually be ok on the Mynd, for both PG and HG. Possibly some showers.

Rest of the week: blown out.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 29th October

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 am

Tuesday is currently pretty damp but is due to dry out, though BBC Shropshire say a chance of the odd shower during the day. Starting off NNW and then mid to late afternoon going more WNW. The forecasts say it is likely to be blown out at the Mynd though for PG's and possibly earlier on at the NW sites too. My guess at this moment is Long Mountain lunchtime, or a bit later Lawley or maybe the Mynd. with the weather deteriorating later in the week worth trying to get out if you can.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Got that wrong - we're at the south end of a front coming across England and it's made it go yuk. The next few days until the weekend look better now than today.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Not that wrong. PGs flying on the Mynd now.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Thursday starts off breezy, and possibly a bit damp, but rapidly clears, with winds slowly dropping during the day. WNW. Should be flyable for both HG (earlier) and PG (maybe later in the day) on the Mynd.

Friday starts off west early on, but rapidly goes SW. So depending on the timing of that, it could be ok on the Mynd at the start of the day, then will go far south, so would then be Clatter.

Saturday is blown out and wet, Sunday southerly. Not sure where yet.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Webcams showed lots of HG and PG's flying the Mynd today.
Friday is much as Geoff has described, but may be on at the Mynd most of the day now. The wind in the west is due to be much stronger and closer to the coast SSW direction, so that will preclude much of the opportunities for sea thermals like people had from Aberystwyth today (mid wales club members reported). Check the webcams and either go Mynd or Clatter, Camlo choices. Better to do that than wait until the weekend.
Saturday blown out and Sunday probably frontal across our area so very iffy to plan anything for that day.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am

Currently WSW on the Mynd and I can see an early riser PG on launch. It is due to come more west and pick up a little bit during the day.
Dave Thomas

Postby Roy Dade » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Shepherds Tump was good today, it looked like the winds would be too light judging by the wind in the trees down the A488 but the compression at the site gave a healthy soarable wind speed. The sun was on the slope as well early afternoon kicking off a few lively thermals.

I stopped to chat to the sheep farmer who asked if we had permission from the landowner, turned out the tenancy has recently changed. He wasn’t anti in any way but was concerned about sheep worrying and gates getting obstructed. I said I’d pass his concerns on but re-assured him that the site has been LMSC for a long time and that fliers are covered by BHPA Third Party Insurance. I also said it’s not frequently used.

Regards

Roy
Roy Dade

Postby Geoffm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks for that site report Roy - always good to hear from people at other sites, especially the ones less frequently flown.

It was very light on the Mynd, but was nicely soarable for an hour or so from early afternoon - thermals mostly - before going off to the SW.

The weekend is rubbish - blown out and/or raining.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 am

Sunday, what a complete set of various forecasts, we've got cold fronts from the west, warm front coming from the east, far too windy, just about right, rain and no rain. Anyway, I think most likely is that it will be south to south east and drier in the west with higher clouds level off he hills. The ground handling clinic looks like a very good option for those that are booked on it. Alternatively I think the south face and relatively low Camlo looks like a possibility. Safer than Wrekin if it's windy as it's safer to get blown back there and no forest right behind, but nice and steep if it's not very windy.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.