View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 1st October

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 1st October

Postby Geoffm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 pm

October.... clocks changing at the end of this month, so make the most of the decreasing daylight.

RASP is down at the time of writing this, so I've not looked at thermal potential. Probably not that much anyway, but maybe Wednesday.

Monday: starting off NW, or maybe even NNW, but going westerly late afternoon or early evening. May be paraglidable on the Mynd at that point, but it's also possible the winds will pick up. Should be ok at some point for HGs.

Tuesday: blown out.

Wednesday: could be a reasonable day. West again. Hang glidable, probably OK for PGs too.

Thursday: still west, but stronger again, certainly too strong for PGs, top end for HGs.

Friday: lighter again, SE or SW, forecasts differ at the moment. But potentially flyable.

Weekend: Saturday is strong-ish northerlies, possibly a Long Mountain day for PGs. Sunday is southerly.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 1st October

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:38 am

Monday starts off ok with a decent NW wind, probably just about suitable for all of the NW sites, but does get a bit stronger, so Long Mountain looks best. Problem is for anyone wanting to try a last XC of the year is that cloud is due to build up a lot with spreadout - but some good convergence lines and cloudbase actually reducing a little during the day. However might be good to at least get up to base. For ridge soaring as long as it's not blown out should be good. Elsewhere the air is good in the peaks but it suffers with wave affecting Bradwell, the western peaks sites might be good soaring. Down south Selsley or Liddington look good options with some XC potential though cloudbase not particularly high as 3000ft or so.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Less N in it than we thought. W, or WNW now, has been more or less all morning. Paraglidable at the moment, but still forecast to pick up.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:06 pm

As I said above, W or WNW all day today, with some PGs flying earlier on, but then it picked up around lunchtime. In the afternoon it was ok for hangies, but there were none there.

The next few days are windy.Possibly OK for hangies on Wednesday on the Mynd, probably too breezy for PGs. Thursday windy again, friday less wind, but likely to be very cloudy with some rain.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Wednesday was flyable for hangies, and there were around 10 out - a lot for a midweek day. In fact, it was lighter than the forecast, and some PGs flew too. I think most or all the hangies flew.

Friday and Saturday are still looking poor, with wind and rain, but Sunday there is a slight chance it may be flyable.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:30 am

Friday pretty grubby and gets worse, but before it does it is due to veer from south to the west and cloudbase might be above the Mynd and suitable for some ridge soaring.

Saturday is due to clear in the afternoon and be north but howling

Sunday quite promising for ridge soaring at the Mynd or our SW or WSW sites
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 am

Sunday has a bit of a variaton betwen forecasts but mostly only regarding wind speeds. I think still could be good for ridge soaring today. Windier to the north west and much lighter down towards thames valley area. Direction somewhere between SW And WSW in our area and some forecasts say it will be blown out for pg by early afternoon but othrrs dont show the big change during the day. Also theres supposed to be a thick layer of high level cloud or maybe quite sunny, so not sure about that. It should be thermic but base is not due to be very high for xc but will make it entertaining.
On balance i think its worth going out to fly if you can. Site choice, clatter or camlo for HG, and for PG it depends on just how windy it gets, i think Camlo will cope with more wind as you can walk down the hill to launch. Shepherds Tump i think may get blown out too quickly to launch due to the shape of the hill.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.