View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 10th September

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 10th September

Postby Geoffm » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Not a great week ahead.

Monday: looking pretty windy really, getting stronger through the day.

Tuesday: starting off a bit wet and murky, and windy too, but winds dropping slowly through the day, and the chance of rain decreasing too. There is, if you are desperate, a slight chance of flying on the Mynd early evening.

Wednesday: again, wet in the morning, drier later on. NW probably, though forecasts differ as to direction.

Thursday: this is probably the best day. Lighter winds, but soarable. WNW. Dry. May even be the odd thermal.

Friday: WSW, some chance of rain, probably too windy for PGs.

Weekend: again breezy, SW, some chance of rain.

As I said, not a great week.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 10th September

Postby Geoffm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Tuesday still blown out for everyone (well, not sailplanes), but wednesday should be ok for PGs. WNW probably, so the Mynd.

Thursday is west, but likely to be too windy for PGs, though ok for hangies.

Then windy again the remainder of the week.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am

Wednesday was very good for PGs on the Mynd. Flyable more or less all day, except for a period late afternoon when it got a bit too windy. Very lifty, some XCs done, though nothing in the League yet.

Thursday is certainly OK for hang gliders, but may be flyable for PGs too. Not quite as windy as first forecast.

Rest of the week is probably blown out and/or raining.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 am

Further to Geoff's post, the approaching front from the west is expected to bring a thickening layer of top cover and an increasing wind. Certainly not good to go to any of our further west sites I think - the wind is less into England and the south. Cloudbase in our area around 3500ft but maybe 4500ft further east, around here the thermals likely to be interrupted by the higher cloud. I think the Mynd is very likely to be blown out for most PG's for much of the day, though it is probable that late evening it calms and smooths out enough for some nice ridge soaring. Much better for HG all day.
Elsewhere, a difficult choice, Worcestershore beacon just might be light enough to launch but it's not really a ridge soaring location. Frocester will be much better for ridge soaring, though due to the westerly wind direction and all the airspace just downwind not the ideal choice for XC today. Rybury (Thames valley members only) is a possibility as is Dunstable (members only again). I'm sure there will be plenty of pilots out trying to fly XC given the now rapidly approaching winter doldrums!
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 pm

More or less as we said today. Flyable for PGs for a couple of hours in the morning, then too windy. Hang gliders flew in the afternoon, had a great time. In the evening it dropped off to PG strength, though not many there - just one flying as I write.

Rest of the week still looks too windy. I suppose, at a pinch, there could be a short window for hangies at Clatter, but I'm not that optimistic about it.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am

Saturday looking ok for HG, possibly the Mynd if it has enough west in it, but Camlo looks better. Too far west for Clatter I think. not a great thermalling day around here as so much thick top cover forecast, but could be good for the ridges.
Elsewhere it looks possibly a bit less wind at times in south east of England and smaller hills anyway and also much less top cover. Options, Frocester, Rybury, Bell Hill, Dunstable - these hills I think stand a decent chance of being suitable for PG launching and all have a half reasonable chance of thermalling for XC.

Sunday looking far too windy and complicated frontal charts coming in, but might be ok for a bit of mid/north wales coastal flying while it's dry.
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.