View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Long Mountain

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Long Mountain

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 pm

I have been informed that there is a risk of losing this site, which many Long Mynd club members and those from the North Wales club use as well as much further afield on big XC forecast days. Posting here so that as many people see it as possible - though the negotiations for use of the site are nothing to do with LMSC.

Please note that due to a number of selfish pilots not paying up, this important flying site is at risk.  The farmer makes a note of how many wings he sees from the fields below.  Please for everyone’s sake if you fly there, do pay up – it’s very easy to do via Paypal or card.  If you don’t want to pay to fly there (when it’s windy and in the right direction), then either don’t fly at all or try somewhere else.
Dave Thomas

Re: Long Mountain

Postby David Broughton » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Personally I avoid flying there as I I resent paying a day fee for a site that's not so great & that doesn't cost the farmer (who doesn't actually own the land) a cent. I think we should all avoid flying there for a couple of years then try to negotiate it as a a club site with a reasonable annual fee.
David Broughton

Postby Glyn Jones » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:22 pm

I can see why certain pilots don't feel the need to pay, Its a Mickey Mouse hill, its not very good to fly, its common ground we don't need permission etc etc. We can only fly this site legally with the farmer's approval and at the end of the day it's just £5 for god's sake.
Glyn Jones

Postby David Broughton » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 am

Whatever anyone says unless you have effective enforcement on site there will always be those who will avoid paying a day fee - just as they avoid paying at the Long Mynd & Llangollen.

If the farmer isn't happy that he's getting his dues it's entirely up to him what he does about it. If he bans flying it's up to him to enforce the ban. So he gets no money and has the hassle of chasing people off. Que Sera.

Perhaps more people WOULD pay if a notice about it was put on the gate. Not everyone reads club forums.

PS. I think modelers fly there quite regularly. Do they pay?
David Broughton

Postby Roy Dade » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 am

It’s not mentioned about but the £5 payment can be made at the bottom of YX Paragliding’s home page here http://www.yxparagliding.co.uk/

Personally I don’t mind the fee, its not the best of sites but losing just one makes a big dent in possible places to go when it’s flyable. Imagine the log jam at Sarn if Long Mountain was lost and overuse at Sarn has already caused issues there?
Roy Dade

Postby Graeme Baird » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 am

Does anyone know who owns the land?
Graeme Baird

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.