View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 3rd September

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 3rd September

Postby Geoffm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Autumn already....

Monday: looks like a write-off with rain much of the day. When it does stop, later in the afternoon, it'll be too windy.

Tuesday: N/NNE. Theoretically Corndon, but it could be windy. Cloudy, but more or less dry.

Wednesday: NNW, mostly sunny. Sarn or Llangollen. Could be a reasonable ridge soaring and thermal day.

Thursday onwards: blown out for PGs. Going westerly from Friday, so maybe a chance for hangies on the Mynd, but looks top end for them too at the moment.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 3rd September

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 am

Rain Radar and some forecasts suggest long Mountain might be ok to soar later this afternoon/evening as the front is passing through quite quickly.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 am

BBC TV weather last night explained that because the jet stream was very wavy at present it meant the forecasts could be changeable and I think unreliable, and they have been swapping about a fair bit.
Today looks like pretty low cloud around here but dry with a N or NNE wind that varies in strength on forecasts. I think there is a bit of a chance of some ridge soaring at Sarn or Corndon. Cloudbase won't be much above the hills but for ridge soaring that's fine, and with a layer of cloud above should cause a bit of a venturi effect above Sarn - it needs far more wind than you'd expect to get Sarn to work.

Wednesday broadly similar but bound to change by then.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 am

Well, forecasts have changed and today looks great. Winds moderate to on the top end for PG in our area and North to NNW direction. Cloudbase in south wales due to be 5000ft plus later on. a good ridge and XC day, but limited on site choices due to wind strength. Long Mountain ideal I think, possibly Sarn. around the Wrekin area RASP indicates a stronger band of wind so probably not there.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Today people flew at Sarn, Long Mountain, Llangollen and the Wrekin. Llangollen was early, I think, with the wind picking up in the afternoon, and just hangies flying. Maybe it dropped later on. Long Mountain was scratchy much of the time, but some got up and stayed high. Sarn, I think a couple got away. Anyway, a flyable day.

Thursday is WNW, and in terms of wind strength should be ok on the Mynd for both PG and HG. However, there is rain coming in, in the afternoon, so that will be an issue.

Friday: a nice sunny day on the Mynd. Stronger winds, chances are it will be top end for PGs, should be fine for hangies.

At the moment, the weekend looks blown out.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Geoffm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:19 pm

In spite of my misplaced optimism yesterday, it rained most of the day today, off and on. Crap day. When it cleared in the evening, it went north.

Friday is sunny, west, and breezy. Possibly ok for hangies, probably, on the current forecast, too windy for PGs. But watch the web cams, look at the forecast tomorrow morning.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.