View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 27th August

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 27th August

Postby Geoffm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Should be a better week this week, less windy, less rain. Temperatures perhaps picking up a bit too, the last couple of days have felt a bit chilly. Mind you, that's probably because it's a bank holiday.

Monday: still windy today though, but the winds are gradually dropping throughout the day. Westerly, so quite possibly OK for hangies later on, and maybe even PGs, if the winds drop enough before it gets dark.

Tuesday: lighter winds, SW much of the day, so Clatter. Later on, going a bit more westerly, so could be on the Mynd in the evening.

Wednesday: N/NNW. Sarn, Llangollen if not too strong there, Long Mountain possibly too. Probably a lot of cloud cover, so not very thermic.

Thursday: lighter winds, more thermic, same direction as yesterday. Llangollen probably the best option.

Friday: southerly, reasonably thermic, but winds moving around a bit. Not sure which site yet.

Weekend: looks SW, maybe west.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 27th August

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 am

Tuesday, as Geoff said Clatter looks appropriate during the day (correct direction but a little light at this moment on weather station )- pretty grubby though on webcam at present and it's not due to get much warmer so base won't be very high - the air is due to be slightly better further east but the satellite images at present show the depression that's supposed to be south of England looks like it's further north than expected so not great anywhere else either.
Mynd might come on later but possibly not until quite late on.
Dave Thomas

Postby David Broughton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Clatter worked quite well late morning/early afternoon. Easy ridge soaring & climbs to 900 ft ato. A bit of moisture in the air but no obvious rain. Military jets in the valley!
David Broughton

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06 am

Good to hear about clatter yesterday, always useful to get feedback on actual conditions.

Wednesday a nce day but windy and NW direction. Good cloudbase and thermic to 4000ft . I think HG at llangollen and PG at long mountain. The air is due to be a bit less windy downwind of the north Wales hills so places like wrekn and lawley look too windy a spineback ridge to be safe.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:13 am

Accidentally posted on the wrong week - so pasted in here now.
posted Wednesday morning
Wednesday, I think I was a bit premature with forecasting good thermic conditions today, the satellites show the front' hasn't even cleared the north Wales coast yet so it's going to be a good few hours before it reaches us - Clatter has gone NNW west, so it is coming, just a bit late.
Dave Thomas

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted Thursday morning
People flew at Long Mountain yesterday. For Thursday, the daily charts message at the top of the forum is giving out of date charts - possibly because one of the RASP providers failed for both Thursday charts overnight.

Anyway, for some it's going to a fantastic thermalling and XC day, but for many it may be very disappointing I think. England is due to be much better than Wales, as BBC forecast on TV last night had showers building there and maybe all over our area (not shown on internet BBC this morning though). The wind around here is due to be probably north-ish but variable with height and might even be southerly in some places! no-where here is it due to be ridge soarable.

My thoughts are be as far east as possible, so Wrekin, Caer Caradoc or the top of the Lawley. The Mynd might be a launch place later on once the Sun is on the face.

Elsewhere Peak district stands a decent chance of being ridge soarable in a N to NNW wind, and very good XC potential.
Down south combe gibbet should be launchable. and good air down there too. People will be going to Malverns to throw themselves off either side for thermalling triangle attempts.
Dave Thomas

Postby Geoffm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Some good flying had today, but not, I think, round here.

Tomorrow, Friday, is a bit breezier, and SE/ESE, so Corndon is the nearest place, and should work. It should be reasonably thermic too. It could be a bit windy for the Wrekin. The Gyrn could be ok too.

The weekend is basically south. No longer a good direction for the LMSC. Probably too windy for Derbyshire sites, maybe somewhere down south would be OK, Dave can comment on that better than I can.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 am

Today, Friday as Geoff said last night is looking good - for both ridge soaring and XC potential. The wind forecasts vary between being just right and a little on the high side in the afternoon. Cloudbase 4000ft plus and no rain and a direction between south and south east. Corndon is not a great site to soar in that direction, though it is possible, but shallower than the other faces, less height top to bottom and lumpy ground in front to add turbulence, but it will work if just right. Wrekin is difficult and risky if it is windy, but if not then I think it's the best option today as the air should be a bit better further east in our patch. Gyrn is probably where most locals will go. Middletown hill looks ideal today but we're not supposed to fly there anymore as far as I'm aware.

Elsewhere, Peak district looks ok but might be on windy side for PG. Down south for XC only pilots likely to be Golden ball - the Malverns kettle sings site or Castlemorton I think may be ok if there's a reasonable bit of a SE direction rather than south.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am

Saturday has a significant divide between England and Wales. The Eastern and especially south eastern part of England is due to have warm sunny and thermic conditions with a moderate to fresh South wind, but very few locations to fly from.
Whilst Wales is going to be an occluded front with variable amounts of relatively low cloud and winds varying with height a lot and little or no thermic convection, and also very few sites to fly from.

The wind direction everywhere is due to be a variation between SSE and SSW.

However on a positive note, if you can find a suitable site, then it could be a decent day for ridge soaring in Wales.
My option for today in our actual area will be Camlo which has a steep south and SSE face with a decent top landing area and if its SSW you have a slightly shallower head of the bowl but a forest behind, but you can easily get across to the main top landing area.

Corndon might be ok as it does need a decent bit of wind to be soarable in that direction. Wrekin also and can be very nicely soarable, but care is required if it's on the windy side for PG launching, but it's also nearer the chance of the sunnier skies.

Gyrn Moelfre near our area I suppose but there may be others. I can think of at least 4 sites which are either no longer allowed by landowners or not official public launch sites.
Down south Milk hill/Golden Ball, up north the dales and peak district clubs have a number of sites.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am

Sunday, very much the same description and site suggestions as yesterday
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.