View active topics

(LMSC members can login to see more options)

Week beginning Monday, 20th August

We are re-structuring the forums, so that all topics will appear here, rather than being split up into the various different areas. The advantage of this is that it will be easier to navigate; and topics with the most recent posts will appear at the top of the list.

Week beginning Monday, 20th August

Postby Geoffm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Not a brilliant week ahead, but at least one flyable day.

Monday: cloudy and possibly some showers earlier in the day. SW, but coming more westerly later on, and clearing a bit. Could be flyable for PGs on the Mynd, in ridge lift. Probably too light for hangies.

Tuesday: looks like the best day of the week. West, should be fine for both types. Thermal forecast not that good at the moment, but I expect it to get better.

Wednesday: the winds are picking up. and at the moment it looks a bit too windy, though forecasts differ as to the strength. Westerly. By one forecast, it could be ok for hangies during the day, PGs late on, but that's being optimistic.

The rest of the week looks like that too, windy, some component of west.
Geoffm
Site Admin

Re: Week beginning Monday, 20th August

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:02 am

Wednesday, the south and east of england look a bit better than here due to a much lower cloudbase and thicker cloud in our area and to the NW. However our south west facing sites may be ok, certainly for HG and possibly PG. Not an xc day but might be nice soaring, however the current wind on the weather stations show it much more windy than the forecasts I've looked at, so maybe not!
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 am

Thursday looks like being a flyable day, but probably not around here really. The webcams look lovely and promising at present, but the forecast is for the wind to pick up a lot and cloudbase to be very low in Wales and into our area. For a chance of soaring, especially PG, you'll need to go east. Winds due to be westerly or thereabouts. Possible options I think are Bradwell, Frocester, Rybury or Dunstable - If I was flying today I'd want to go XC from Frocester, but I've just found out there's a massive chunk of new permanent non HG/PG airspace just come into force at the weekend around Prince Charles house in the Cotswolds, which is really going to affect so many XC routes. The airspace bans all types of piloted aircraft, drones, kites everything. There used to be a small circle banning helicopters only, but this new area is massive so I hear.

Friday not flyable, Saturday looking very promising for our NW sites.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Saturday is not looking as fabulous as it did yesterday, the issue being that it's expected around here that the clouds may develop very high and I think might cause the odd shower, big spreadout and maybe even the odd gust front if any monsters form. Having said that on a positive note for most, it's looking more likely to be on at the Mynd. Probably better to go early and at least a better chance of getting some soaring in. All down to luck where the big clouds form, it could be nice all day. Hopefully I'm being overly pessimistic with regard to the strength and development of the clouds, the air mass only has to be slightly drier or cooler and it will be very different.
Wind speeds look ok for PG and HG.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 am

For today, many of the forecasts are showing it pretty strong around here, possibly too strong for PG launching most of the time, though winds are due to drop during the day, especially from teatime onwards. Not all forecasts so there is room to go and hope it's launchable and flyable. Currently mostly roughly westerly, but with a broadly NW component in most forecasts. Still this chance of big clouds (growing to 12000ft or so) and associated rain and squalls. better and probably drier further east but sites are a problem (lack of them).

It's light on the Mynd at this moment, but as the thermals start, the wind will mix, ground launch speeds will shoot up and then only gradually reduce during the day.

For those wanting a good chance of ridge soaring, I think the west Wales coast holds promise today. Another option if there's a reasonable NW component to the wind will be Long Mountain, (WNW is too far off the hill) can be hit/miss with ridge soaring, sometime really nice and easy other times difficult to get any height, it's often used by XC pilots on windy days, but it can be a great place for ridge soaring though there is no bottom landing allowed just shallow slope landing and a monster and safe top landing (£5 flying fee) - A nice soaring day there and it's worth the money.

Other options, the peak district but it's going to be windy and really I think only a good option for those risking not flying in order to get the chance of a big XC into east Anglia. Thames valley club site Liddington Castle is where I'd go today to fly XC, but it's an awful place to ridge soar so don't go there if that's what you want to do. Frocester or Selsley might be ok as alternatives down south.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 am

Saturday did have some flying at the Mynd, not sure how much but the webcams showing people there and a bit being done. They also showed some monster clouds too - at one stage in the afternoon, the Sarn weather station changed from being about 14mph to 5 from the east and a great big cloud overhead. at the same time it was lovely blue sky on the clatter cam.
Elsewhere loads of PG cross countries flown from Frocester, Selsley and Liddington down south and from the Yorkshire Dales.

Sunday is obviously dire, but I've been looking in case Monday has any promise. I think that will be dune soaring in west Wales only, mostly dry but very windy and overcast (WSW direction), too windy even for the lower coastal hill sites over there.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 am

Saturday did have some flying at the Mynd, not sure how much but the webcams showing people there and a bit being done. They also showed some monster clouds too - at one stage in the afternoon, the Sarn weather station changed from being about 14mph to 5 from the east and a great big cloud overhead. at the same time it was lovely blue sky on the clatter cam.
Elsewhere loads of PG cross countries flown from Frocester, Selsley and Liddington down south and from the Yorkshire Dales.

Sunday is obviously dire, but I've been looking in case Monday has any promise. I think that will be dune soaring in west Wales only, mostly dry but very windy and overcast (WSW direction), too windy even for the lower coastal hill sites over there.
Dave Thomas

Postby Cristian Badea » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:23 am

Talking about feedback, Dave, you were spot on with the dune soaring in west Wales!
I was up for hours playing on the Harlech Beach dunes on Monday. Great fun!
As far as I was aware, there are no restrictions to paragliding on these dunes and I no one complained, so jolly good :).
Cristian Badea

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 am

Cristian, Great to hear that bank holiday fun was had.
Dave Thomas

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:36 am

removed - wrong week
Dave Thomas

Return to All topics

Please note: forum postings represent the views of the individuals, not of the LMSC. Posts which insult or libel others will be deleted.